New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Buying a civic soon - thought this was a good place to Educate

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
HCF Member

Nothing against people driving automatic cars, but for the most part i hate automatics especially in a car like a civic. granted people who commute through city traffic all the time may find them more convenient (although unless you are running a modded engine with a heavy duty clutch to match it takes little effort to shift a civic).

Automatics are generally more expensive because its an option, they usually accelerate slower (with civics its quite a noticeable difference, at least 5th and 6th gen ones i've driven), you have less control over gearing which helps in a car that is kind of underpowered stock, it is harder/more expensive to fix when something goes wrong, and you get worse gas mileage. And personally i just find manual cars a hell of a lot more fun, but maybe thats just me lol.

To all you guys who drive/mod auto cars on here tho nothin against you, to each his own, i'm sure you have your reasons

Old 08-21-2008, 12:03 PM

Apostle, do a quick google search on the 09's, there was tons of rumors, but as of yesterday or the day before a ton of publications have pics and have even done some testing.

Looks like very minimal differences (the VP package is back, ironically) like a lower bumper, with 3 air intakes, some chrome above the back plate... very minimal, nothing under the hood is changing. There probably won't be any major overhaul for a few more years.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by C-lo
Nothing against people driving automatic cars, but for the most part i hate automatics especially in a car like a civic. granted people who commute through city traffic all the time may find them more convenient (although unless you are running a modded engine with a heavy duty clutch to match it takes little effort to shift a civic).

Automatics are generally more expensive because its an option, they usually accelerate slower (with civics its quite a noticeable difference, at least 5th and 6th gen ones i've driven), you have less control over gearing which helps in a car that is kind of underpowered stock, it is harder/more expensive to fix when something goes wrong, and you get worse gas mileage. And personally i just find manual cars a hell of a lot more fun, but maybe thats just me lol.

To all you guys who drive/mod auto cars on here tho nothin against you, to each his own, i'm sure you have your reasons

I dont know. I drive during rush hour traffic three days a week. I sometimes drive my gf's auto but most of the time i drive my civic which is a five speed and I actually perfer the manual to the auto
Guess it's just me

Old 08-21-2008, 03:24 PM
HCF Member

It's no just you. I love sticks way more. I will never buy an auto again. I used to commute 90 minutes through some chicago traffic. Didn't bother me at all. I just think performance modding is a lost cause. You are just starting at a performance loss already. It takes some serious mods to overcome the automatic trans losses. But that is just my opinion.

If you just want to make your auto look nicer that's a different story. But if you're going to seriously mod. Just start with a stick.

I'll have to look up the 09's.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 AM
HCF Member

lol yeah that why i said "may find them more convenient", i personally would rather drive standard any day but some people justify automatics as a "convenience" choice

Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 AM
HCF Member

I find that funny. I don't need a convenience. I love driving the stick. I have almost no fun driving an automatic. So an auto really makes all my drives an inconvenience, because then they are all boring drives.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 PM
HCF Member

A driver after my own heart apostle. as weird as it sounds i find it easier to drive manual cuz all my/my family's cars have all been manual. when i (rarely) drive auto sometimes i forget and try to shift and i end up jammin the brakes instead of the clutch cuz in a lot of auto cars the brake pedal is so big. i have locked up the brakes on a car doing 65 on the highway by doing that, lol so as dumb as it sounds i find manual easier/more convenient

and as to the original reason for starting this thread: if you plan on modding/toying with the civic i would personally get a 5th or 6th gen (92-2000) civic as they have more aftermarket support and are easier to work on. if you plan on only doing small things and want a newer car then you can get a 7th or 8th gen civic (2001-present). If you dont plan on doing much to it i would get the Si trim, I like the EM1's best (99-2000 Si). Hope that helps a little, you didnt give us much as to what features/factors are most important but that is just some general info

Last edited by C-lo; 08-22-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:22 PM
HCF Member

I say get 8th gen And join me in heavy modding! I am installing the TSI turbo kit next weekend. Woot! I'm super excited

Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

I absolutely hate the look of the 8th gens. it has yet to grow on me. I have the money, but I just really hate the look of them and can't justify buying one.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:28 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by macbeth18288
I absolutely hate the look of the 8th gens. it has yet to grow on me. I have the money, but I just really hate the look of them and can't justify buying one.
To each his own