New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Buying a civic soon - thought this was a good place to Educate

Old 08-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Default Buying a civic soon - thought this was a good place to Educate

Hi,

Selling my Girlfriends Audi Allroad this weekend and we want to either get a civic for her (that way I can have a toy to modify). I was hoping that you could help me with any "watch outs" that I need to be aware of. In the Allroad, a timing belt at 90K cost us $1100 to replace... the dealer wanted to charge $1500!!!! If you guys (and girls) could let me know what concerns I should have, I would really appreciate the help. I have tried to search but I came up empty.

Thank you,
Justin

Old 08-20-2008, 12:14 AM
HCF Member

What year are you looking at.
"getting a civic for her" is extremely broad.
What year, what trim, what tranny?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM
HCF Member

DETAILS!!! plz

Old 08-21-2008, 06:46 AM
HCF Member

Based on the information you've given, I recommend you buy a car. Probably something with 4 wheels and maybe an engine. I would be concerned about buying one that doesn't have a working engine.

But seriously....I would buy a new civic if you are going to be going for the newer models.

In any case, do not get an automatic. Unless you were just saying you were going to be modding it, but not actually going to be. Modding an automatic is a waste.

I like the 04's. You can get those for under 10k.

BTW. Does anybody know what VP is? I just saw it on some 04 civics. I've never heard of that trim, what is it?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:47 AM
HCF Member

$1500 to replace a timing belt? That seems outrageous. Just do it yourself. Waaaay cheaper. And not all that difficult to do. Just get the service manual and follow the instructions.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:28 AM

VP is the Value Package. I have an 04 VP that just got totalled on Monday (drunk driver), so now I'm trying to decide if I'm going 08 (with huge savings) or 09 next.

The VP's are pretty basic. They have air and a single CD player, but no power anything. Very basic but very efficient (I average 40MPG on the highway, way over the estimate)

Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Apostle
$1500 to replace a timing belt? That seems outrageous. Just do it yourself. Waaaay cheaper. And not all that difficult to do. Just get the service manual and follow the instructions.
$1500 isn't that outrageous for a dealer
it's pretty normal
and i'm assuming that they were going to replace the water pump as well

Old 08-21-2008, 08:55 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by macbeth18288
$1500 isn't that outrageous for a dealer
it's pretty normal
and i'm assuming that they were going to replace the water pump as well
I suppose that is true. But I guess I just freak when I see any price that high, when it's mostly due to overpaying for labor. Makes me happy I do the work myself.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by chodemonkeyq
VP is the Value Package. I have an 04 VP that just got totalled on Monday (drunk driver), so now I'm trying to decide if I'm going 08 (with huge savings) or 09 next.

The VP's are pretty basic. They have air and a single CD player, but no power anything. Very basic but very efficient (I average 40MPG on the highway, way over the estimate)
I havn't seen anythign on the 09's, have you? I assume they aren't going to look any different. And same engine. Huge savings on a brand new car sounds appealing to me Even if it's not the very newest 8th gen. But I can see how it would be tempting to just get the newest thing to hit the floor when you are getting a new car anyway.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Apostle
In any case, do not get an automatic. Unless you were just saying you were going to be modding it, but not actually going to be. Modding an automatic is a waste.
WHOAH, noo need for that, I have an auto and I love that car and its heavily modded. It depends on the purpose of the car. If you are going to be stuck in traffic for 3 hrs a day, DO NOT get a stick or you will have one leg that looks like its been on steroids.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a civic soon - thought this was a good place to Educate