New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

help a newbie, please!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:34 AM
Default help a newbie, please!!

so...i know nothing about hondas and my boyfriend knows little (despite what he says!!). he has a 92 civic and today while he was driving through heavy rain, he hit a puddle that was pretty deep and his car shut off and flashed the dash icon lights. he rolled it to a stop and it won't turn over. i didn't see this, but he said that at first the whole engine area was smoking. when he turns the key, there's a click and the dome light dims, but no engine sounds whatsoever. what we think happened is a short somewhere, but we won't be able to check it out until the rain stops and we get some daylight. please let me know what to check to help us out. thanks!!

Old 11-23-2006, 12:46 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: help a newbie, please!!

Let it dry for a couple of days, it might very well start just fine after this...

Old 11-23-2006, 02:19 AM
HCF Member

does he have a CAI in the car?

Old 11-23-2006, 04:35 AM

Sounds like the car sucked up some water...[:'(]

Old 11-23-2006, 12:23 PM

sounds like the electrics got wet like someone has said let it dry out should be fine if you wanna help it along get your hairdryer and gently give it a blow over ( dont get it to hot tho could be bad)

if still nothing next problem could be sucked up water but electrics is the first thing that comes to mind

Old 11-24-2006, 12:55 AM

the clicking sounds like a starter but that wouln't make any sense for the car just shuting off, unless he was going really slow stalled it and the starter went. talk about bad timing, maybe the stater solenoid. this is really weird
peace
good luck

Old 11-24-2006, 04:31 AM
Stinky Administrator

welcome to the forum, might have gotten water in the distributor cap and might have shorted out the starter. if it does have a cold air kit i hope it didn't suck water in the engine and hydrolocked it

Old 11-24-2006, 01:06 PM
HCF Member

i pinch.
let it dry...but dont turn it on after that.
If you wanna keep the car, you need to make sure that no water in: block, throttle, intake, distrubutor cap. alter,...<<<clean the whole **** up before turning it on.
If you goonna get new car this weekend, go ahead and turn it on after it dries.

my friend, said good bye to his 94 integ. He lets the car dry for a week, then turn it on, water were everywhere, throttle, block. "engine blown" said the check engine light.
good luck and act SMART.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:29 PM

Be very careful what you do. This happened to me with my 98 civic i had a AEM cold air intake by the bottom of the bumper and it sucked lots of water, but my car never shut off the only thing it did was slow down and it seem like i was taking off in 5th gear everytime i would try to go. I happened to clean the manifold and checked my oil to see if any water entered the engine. I waited a day and my car has run like a champ ever since. I asked my mechanic and he said it might have been a short under there some were. Hope this helps you. Good luck