New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

I'm new here and to Hondas. (My History)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Default I'm new here and to Hondas. (My History)

1996 Honda Civic EX 2dr 5spd red(specific name I don't know, but would be interested to find out).

It all started seven years ago when I owned a 1997 Civic, but it was completely stock. This was when I first got into the sport compact scene. However, just as I was getting into the scene I traded the Civic for a brand new 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse (4cyl Auto). After I totaled the Eclipse I got into 1st gen DSMs. I'm on DSM #2, but it has unfortunately broken down and will be down for an extended amount of time.

So I set out looking for a new car, and found one almost exactly like the one I had previously. This one however is already modified some. It came with an Injen CAI, DC Sports Header, and Flowmaster Cat-back Exhaust. The suspension has been lowered with Neuspeed Springs, Tokico Adjustable Shocks, Neuspeed Upper Strut Bar, ICW 10 spoke wheels, and Hercules G5000Z 205-45-16ZR tires. Its a great start, but there's somethings that I don't care for and will change eventually. I'm not wild about the cai. Part of the wheel well plastic is broken and its getting dirt thrown on it from the tires. I'm planning on getting an AEM Short-Ram Intake. The resonator in the cat-back is messed up and causing more racket than a normal performance exhausted Honda usually does. (The turbo DSM had a really different sound!) I could fix the resonator, but I'm also wanting to try a different manufacturer and get a different tone. The suspension is great! It handles really sharply. Unfortunately, I think its causing premature tire wear. I plan on adding adjustable control arms, and eventually switching to full coilovers. I'm also playing with the idea of changing wheels. Probably when I need new tires. I'm wanting to go with a really light weight set. Enkei RPF1 16x7s at 13.7 lbs each!!! [8D]

The car didn't come with keyless entry or a stereo. The audio system was removed by the previous owner. This was fine because I had a lot of audio stuff that wasn't being used. I have an Alpine CD player, Boston Accoustic 5.25 seperates up front hooked up to an Alpine MRV 320 amp, Alpine Type R 6x9s in the rear, and a Boston Accoustics G2 10" sub also powered by an Alpine MRV 320 amp. There's also a Viper alarm for keyless entry and to keep would-be theives from stealing my stereo stuff. For being such a small system I think its enough to suit my needs without being super heavy!

The car I recently purchased was slightly damaged in the front. It just had a new bumper, driver side fender, and driver side head light (dealer replaced both lights so they looked the same). The paint on the new pieces isn't an exact match, but I plan on buffing the rest of the car to a nice shine like the front. The panels that were replaced don't line up that great, but I think they just need some tweaking. And if they need more than that I know someone that owns a body shop. I bought the car after it was put back together. The car also has a few dent, dings, and scratches, but the car's going on 10 years old. I'd really like to update the car to the 99-00 front end eventually (all out of carbon fiber then painted to match). I also have euro taillights that I'm planning on switching to stock lights (maybe 99-00 tails).

I had a few questions for the Honda gurus. I've been looking around the forum, but haven't found what I'm looking for. The previous owner when un-installing his system haphazardly threw the interior back together so I'm missing misc. interior fasteners, clips, etc. There's a few other misc. interior pieces. I'm also needing fasteners to hold my grill. I found arizona autohaus which had a lot of oem stuff for maintenance, but I didn't see anything that I was needing for my interior. I tried going to a local salvage yard, but to my dismay there weren't very many EKs. I found a few but several were a beige interior (mine is a dark gray) and then I found a 99-00 siver coupe, but I wasn't sure if it had the same color interior or not. It looked very close to what mine does, but I'm very **** about things matching. I wanted to do more research before I bought the parts without knowing. Other than the silver coupe I didn't find any at the salvage yard. I'm also looking into doing a tune up (changing filters, oil, plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor. I would like to replace these things with performance items, but I need some guidance. I found an MSD Distributor Cap, but didn't know if it came with the rotor as well or if I should replace with a stock rotor. I was also planning on MSD wires and NGK plugs.

Sorry I wrote a novel for you guys. I wanted to say HI and give everyone the scoop on me, and my new car. I detailed the interior this weekend, and plan on buffing and waxing the outside next weekend. I'll make sure to get some pics to post here.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:57 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I'm new here and to Hondas. (My History)

welcome to the forum!!..wow that was alot, good to have you tho, sounds like you got a nice car and some nice plans on it

Old 07-30-2006, 08:34 PM

You think that's alot! That's the Cliff Note's version. I could write a literal novel about my first 1G DSM. I'll spare you that one. The current DSM is going to get fixed eventually. It's going to be the toy now! [8D]

Do you have any ideas on where I could look (websites) for the oem interior stuff I need? Is the dark color interior of the 99-00 the same as the earlier EKs?

Old 07-30-2006, 09:14 PM

WELCOME! when i see a lot of writing i usually just dont read it, dont be offended, i just dont like reading a whole lot of text...but skimmed thru and how about trying a junk yard for w/e?

Old 07-30-2006, 09:39 PM

I tried a junkyard and only found one 99-00 silver coupe with a dark gray interior. I wasn't sure if it was the same color gray. I wanted to make sure that they would match before I bought anything from it.

I also forgot to mention that the car already has AEM Big Rotors on the front too.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:54 PM
HCF Member

Hmmm. i would imagine taht they are the same color interiors but i am not 100% sure. on the inside of you door it should have a sticker with your vin number on it, as well it will say the paint code and the interior color, (for example the interior color on my car is Type-E blue) so just check there on your car and the car in the salvage yard.

And do you still have your first DSM? cause if you do then you can take the Turbo off of that and use it on the Civic. you just need some other parts for the civic that you can't use from the DSM... check out the Turbo, nitirous, and Supercharger section for more info if that sounds appealing to you... cause i know it sounds appealing to me[8D]

Old 08-01-2006, 08:00 AM

Fiirkan,

Thank you very much for the info on the interior color code. I never would have thought of that.

I still have my DSM. However, I don't plan on doing anything over the top performance wise with the Civic. It already has an intake, header, exhaust. Other than fixing problems stated earlier I'm not really going to try to make it faster. Its the daily driver now and the DSM is going to be the toy! It will be rebuilt one day. I'm busy getting the Civic where I want it and then looking for a house. Once the DSM is back though, look out!!! I like the Civic a lot, but I'm not wanting to do anything to jeprodize (sp?) driveability, gas mileage, etc. The DSM had a lot of compromises which I don't want with the Civic. One day if I still have the Civic (which I probably will) and am wanting a new car I'll probably move it to toy status as well. Then its K series time!!!