New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Just bought my first Civic! (89)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Default Just bought my first Civic! (89)

Hello folks,

Welcome your newest member to the Civic Forums!

I just picked this baby up for 350 bucks! She's basically a cream puff, one small dent on the passenger side rear door thats so small you can't even see it in the pic! Only interior damage is a small rip to the drivers side seat. I've never owned a Honda and I thought I'd give it a shot. She's got a blown head gasket as she sits now but it's on it's way to my house (being towed) tomorrow morning and hopefully I can have it fixed by tomorrow night or Sunday morning.

I fired it up after jumping her (hehe no pun intended) because of a dead battery and after sitting for 9 months and it started strong! Of course I immediately shut it off after I knew that it would run, handed over 350 bucks and I'm anxiously awaiting her arrival tomorrow morning!

Check out the pics and let me know what you guys think! This car is in immaculate condition considering it's an 89, I think! It's got the blown head gasket, cracked windshield and fog light, that's the only thing wrong with it as far as cosmetics and reliability, it's currently a dark primer grey (professionally done, you can tell from the clean appearance) with some decent steele wheels on it. The wheels have minor rust (cant tell in the pic) and other than this, there is no rust anywhere on the car.

Yay! I'm excited, thanks for reading!

PICS: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/timothytestut

Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Just bought my first Civic! (89)

sweet stuff man, fix that head gasket. and clean up the engine ya know and all that jazz while you have the head off. and have a nice fun old car to have fun with

Old 02-11-2007, 10:29 PM
HCF Member

ive got an 89 hatch that had a blown head gasket when i got it, i fixed it once and about 2 months later it blew again, i just changed the gasket again has not blown yet, but i would say to get the head checked to make sure its true before putting it back on there, good find, i only gave 180$ for mine but yours is in better shape.how many miles does it have on it

Old 02-11-2007, 10:45 PM
HCF Member

Congrats and welcome!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:42 PM

i had an 88 LX. dat was my first car when i was 17. it had 56k miles on it in 2002.....it was perfect...i kind of miss it though but now i have a 2000 ex coupe.....
your car brings back memories of mine....
nice

Old 02-14-2007, 12:01 AM

Argh! Turns out that it wasn't a head gasket but oh well. she's got 185k on her and it probably needed to be done anyways. The previous owner was told by a friend that it was a head gasket, we didn't even think to check and make sure, we just put a gasket set on there and figured that would be it. Upon putting water in the radiator, we were met with an unpleasent spraying of water coming from the timing belt area... UGH -- Found out that it's a water pump and I doubt it was ever changed, we could actually shake the water pump sprocket back and forth. It definantly got it's 185,000 miles worth, lol.

Upon further inspection, it's got a new muffler, cv axles and now new head/valvecover/intake/exhaust/throttlebody gaskets as well as a new water pump --- sweet right?! Before replacing the gaskets, I backed this baby in my drive way and completely underestimated it's power (I thought it would be running like crap) and I almost backed it into my parent's front porch, lol.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Eun

NIIICE 350! Welcome!