Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Just bought first Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Default Just bought first Honda Civic

Hey guys,

New to the forum here. First time Honda owner. This is an 04 Honda Civic EX. Bought this car with 156k on the odo. It going to need a new battery, an alignment, pry some tires. It runs and drives with no knock, no smell of burning fluids. But I am not going to get any records with this vehicle. I was wondering if you guys could give me some information on what all I should have changed on this car? I'm thinking oil for sure. But I was wondering what else you guys would suggest I get fluids or wires changed on this car? Or even belts?

Thanks guys... this would be much appreciated!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:01 PM
HCF Member

Besides what you have planned, I would also chage the Air filter-The Cabin air filter and
the belts..look at them to see if they are frayed..if so change them also.

Welcome to the Honda Forums..

Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 PM

Thanks a ton man. Really looking forward to this experience. I have never heard anything but good things about these cars!

What about brake fluids or tranny flushed? Anything along those lines?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 PM

Also what about spark plugs? I'm also getting a new battery and new tires/alignment put on this car. The steering wheel seemed to go to the right, so i'm thinking simple fix there wit hthe tires/alignment. But anyone have any opinions on this car? After I think I get a few simple fixes, this car should be good to go for another 200k.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 AM
HCF Member

Flushing all the fluids is never a bad, although it may not be needed. Just depends on how much you trust the person before you... if he/she took care of it. Replacing all the fluids is a nice way to work on your car without getting too involved or technical.

Spark plugs - check to see they have any gunk on them, etc. If they look ok, they probably are.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Timing belt. Civics before 2006 have a rubber timing belt, and if you drive until it breaks not only will you be stranded, but serious engine damage is likely. Recommended change is about 100-120k miles, there's a good chance the original owner skipped it knowing he was about to sell the car anyway.

Make sure to use only Honda fluid in the automatic. Flushing is not a good idea, just drain and refill.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:29 PM
HCF Member

check motor mounts for damage also the lower control arm bushings are notorious on the 7th gen civic. check the trans dip stick make sure its not loose and letting debris in around the opening thats another common issue.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Finally was able to check out a few things of the car after driving it home last night. All fluid levels look good. Only thing is my steering wheel leans to the right and shakes when i'm on the interstate and pushing up speed. But I am thinking with a new tire here and there, should get the free alignment and that should take care of that problem.

But one quick question, when I first bought the car it had to be jump started. Granted I dont know how long the car was sitting for, I believe they said a few months. But I am in NE and it does get cold. After letting the car drive a few times, it seems to have no problem popping right off now. Do you guys think that if the altenator was bad, the "battery" diagnostic light would be lit up? Battery looks old, but seems to be running just fine now.

Also, had a check engine light on. Took this to auto zone, it was just the 04 sensor. This is a simple fix and wont damage the car long term if I cant get it fixed right away right?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:15 PM

Also.... this is weird. I am a novice when it comes to these things. But, my car looks as if it's leaking oil. There is some web substance around the head of the motor and looks to be seaping out on the the sides of the motor. It does not smell like burning oil, and the oil levels look fine. Could this just be moisture of some type? It kind of has a little smell/color like oil. But yet, is not burning. Any ideas on this one?

Old 03-04-2014, 01:22 PM

Forgot to mention.... checked the ground and there are no signs of leaking oil.

Quick Reply: Just bought first Honda Civic