New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Need better mileage mpg in 01 LX - intake? Free flow cat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Default Need better mileage mpg in 01 LX - intake? Free flow cat?

Howdy all,

Well I've searched and searched but haven't found what Im looking for. I just bought a stock 01 Civic LX 4door w/ auto trans for commuting, and drive about 500 miles per week. It's rated at 38mpg hwy, I think I'm getting something right around there. Assuming everything in the car is tip top shape for getting the maximum MPG, (i.e. plugs, wires, air filter, light weight oil, tires inflated, alignment etc.), are there any PROVEN aftermarket parts to get better mileage? And no need to repeat something if it's already online somewhere so if anyone knows of any write-ups or posts in regards to this question just let me know the link.

There has got to be proven and tested increases in MPG somewhere online I just can't find them. I've heard, and it makes sense, of opening up the entire system, like Cold air intake and then a free flowing Cat. converter, or test pipe with the idea that less restrictive intake and exhaust will allow better fuel efficiency. Maybe an aftermarket ignition too?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

Old 07-31-2006, 01:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need better mileage mpg in 01 LX - intake? Free flow cat?

Welcome to HCF! The parts you named have been proven to improve fuel effeciency. The question is which brand is best? I don't have any experience with those parts but I'm sure someone will chime in with some helpful hints.

Also, among the standard checks you named, "(i.e. plugs, wires, air filter, light weight oil, tires inflated, alignment etc.)", one crucial little part in fuel useage is the oxygen sensor. That little part can save you up to 5 tanks a year. It should be changed every 40k or so. They have aftermarket O2 sensors as well. Not sure if they offer any advantages though. Good luck! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Administrator

i can speak on behalf of of an intake/header/exhaust setup, i get great milage, as for your list...i dont know much about it, i also had irridum spark plugs, they are great, i use syntac oil, that works.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: My04Civic

i can speak on behalf of of an intake/header/exhaust setup, i get great milage, as for your list...i dont know much about it, i also had irridum spark plugs, they are great, i use syntac oil, that works.
Cool, so what kind of Intake, (looks like the K&N), header, and exhaust do you have? And what kind of milage do you get?

Thanks