New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

so gasp i dont belong here

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Default so gasp i dont belong here

buuuut i figgure since i have a question that requires civic experts there must be sombody here. i have a friend with a DX pretty much stock just pretty big exaught and alot of appearance mods ive ridden in his car and ive had him follow me in my camaro. he had trouble keeping up with me and im not really trying to get away. but he tells me thats just because hes not "hitting Vtec" now at first i didnt understand this at all i checked out the sticky in the gen tech section but it also stats that it creates better low in toqure so shouldnt Vtec be helping all the way through. im not trying to be a jerk but i wanna know is he pulling my leg or if me i do decide to race this guy should i be really at WOT

Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: so gasp i dont belong here

well, a 4 cylinder car will get spanked by the 6 or maybe 8 that you have in your camaro. If your friend has a DX, he does not have a VTEC engine, unless he swapped the engine or head. VTEC engages around 5k rpms. More than likely, your friend has a bone stock civic and thinks it's a racecar. But, tell him to open his eyes and realize that it's a Civic, and nothing more.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

V-tec isn't going to do anything because both of you are in different classes. He is not creating nearly enough power to keep up. V-tec is engaged at higher rpm's yes but its not a turbo charger. He is yanking your leg. Also his huge exhaust could be causing him to lose power because he isn't creating enough back pressure.

p.s. Don't be afraid we aren't going to bite you. I like camaro's actually. But i like the thought of building my own civic soon.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 PM

thanks guys thats pretty much what my reserch lead too also he says he did a swap but dosent look differant from any other civic engine ive looked at corse like i said not really a honda expert. chevy small block sure but not so much honda i was impressed that i rememberred the H22 was the biggest honda made when they said it on pinks today lol

Old 01-02-2008, 11:35 PM
HCF Member

lol. You can tell an average horsepower reading just by looking at it. single cam or dual cam. But if hes your friend wouldn't you know if he did a swap?

Old 01-03-2008, 05:51 PM

we havent been frineds very long he just got hired at my work and i helped him out cus hes the new guy so we go to lunch and stuff but he says he did a swap but eh

Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

BIG NIC!!!!!!!!!!!
whats up man, what brings you around here.

Anyways, your friend's VTEC won't do anything to match the power of the camaro. If he is bone stock, then you have this in the bag.

Good Luck Man. If have anymore questions, feel free to ask us.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:31 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: BigNic

thanks guys thats pretty much what my reserch lead too also he says he did a swap but dosent look differant from any other civic engine ive looked at corse like i said not really a honda expert. chevy small block sure but not so much honda i was impressed that i rememberred the H22 was the biggest honda made when they said it on pinks today lol
Never underestimate the potential of a honda. Just cause the motors are small, doesn't mean they can't be fast. Its a little thing called Volumetric Efficiency. You also have to remember that your car is a tank compared to most older Civics. My 99 ex weighed 2700 with me in it (180lbs).

Your friend sounds like a typical newb Honda owner though, and judging by his bs talk, I wouldn't be afraid of him.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya your camaro should easily smoke his civic.... ive thought about buying a camaro before BUT i thought about it and the gas and insurance would just run to much. my civic may not be fast but it not very thirsty so just sips the gas plus cheap insurance... hell ya. LOL