Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

DIY, How to replace rear speakers on a 96-00 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Default DIY, How to replace rear speakers on a 96-00 Coupe

Do this on your own risk, this process is a little time consuming, IIRC all the bolts are 10mm

tools-

rachet, several extensions, 10mm socket, phillips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver (not in pic)

2. Loosen the bolt with the 10mm socket, i recommend using several extensions so you have more space to move the rachet around

3. After removing the bolt, raise the seat cushion as shown, don't forget of the seat belt buckles

then at the bottom of the cushion you'll see hooks at the left and right of the cushion:

4. now that you have removed the cushion, you'll see a pocket in the side panels:

inside each pocket there is a phillips screw, unscrew that.

5. fold the rear seat backs

6. Remove the bolts holding the seatbacks to the bracket

well you can't remove completely the seatbacks, but by doing the previous step will make the seatbacks mive easily, so you can access the pivot

7. remove the pivot bracket bolt (IIRC it is a 14mm bolt)
the pivot bolt construction: pivot bolt-->washer-->bushing-->toothed lock washer (this is for the driver's side bolt, the passenger side is the same order, just instead of going to the right of the bolt, those parts go to the left of the bolt)

9. Now pull the side panels towards the front of the car, be careful not to crack any of the plastic peices

now your interior should look something like this:

10. remove the top mount stop light bulb by turning the socket counter clockwise

Now follow steps #3 thru the last one in the sedan DIY ( I'm too lazy to retype everything, LOL):
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_136218/tm.htm

Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure
If you have any questions PM me
Thanks for taking the time to read my how to, and I hope that it helps you in replacing the crappy stock speakers

**EDIT: Finished the DIY**

Old 03-10-2006, 06:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: DIY, How to replace rear speakers on a 96-00 Coupe

you should finish this whenever you have time cause im having to do the same thing and i think this will help more people in the future cause it seems to be kinda a big pain in the ash.....

Old 03-10-2006, 10:25 PM
HCF Member

e-mail this to one of the mods to get it posted in the DIY section

Old 03-10-2006, 11:02 PM

finished, bump

Old 03-11-2006, 12:01 AM
HCF Member

cool thanks alot bro im doing that tomm so that will help alot i think....i just cant remove the back seat though cause the amps are on there and all the wires and all that mess.....

Old 03-11-2006, 10:20 AM

well, you don't have to completely remove the seatbacks, you only need to unbolt them from the side pivot brackets, it is still held by a center pivot, which you do not have to remove, good luck and let me know if you need any help

Old 03-11-2006, 09:18 PM

im confused this is about the speakers...why don't u just get a small flat head and remove the mesh screening from the top. and what does the light bulb have to do with it

Old 03-11-2006, 09:56 PM
mxs
HCF Member

done

Old 03-11-2006, 10:13 PM

i tried that and i just messed the little screens on top of the speakers , and mxs, thanks for posting that on the how to section

edit: because the top mounted brake light is in the rear deck, so when you try to remove the rear deck, the length of the wire isn't enough to allow the deck to move freely

Old 03-12-2006, 12:48 AM
HCF Member

ok so i got that all done awile ago.....i wanted to hear what my subs would sound like without the rear deck and it sounded louder and cleaner without the third brake light rattle...i might just leave the rear lid off for awhile and put the sides back on cause without the rear lid on it lets more sir through,but i dont know i might just put it back on but im still deciding.

Quick Reply: DIY, How to replace rear speakers on a 96-00 Coupe