Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2 Questions: Front amp placement / stereo dome light fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 AM
HCF Member
Default 2 Questions: Front amp placement / stereo dome light fix

First of all, I'm not sure if this is a forum no no but I didn't wanna create numerous posts.

Question 1: Installing an amp for my front speakers. Should I mount under my seat? Under the passenger side glovebox area? Any pointers on this?

Question 2: I reviewed this thread: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=3769

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly... I locate the larger green plug-in harness and find the light green wire w/ black stripe and the light green wire w/ red stripe and connect a jumper on the connector, similar to how we can trip the check engine light under our dash?

Thanks for any pointers!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

not sure about that radio mod... my 96 coupe dome light works fine without the stock radio... i know with 96-98 civics the remote door locks need the factory radio. but on idea about the dome light since mine still works perfect.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

Yeah i've got a 99 and everything works fine with an aftermarket radio...what do you have again?

And how big is the amp?

Old 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

I didn't think that was required on the 99-00 models since they went with a different module for the alarm and keyless entry that was not tied to the radio... Maybe I am wrong?

Regardless, this is the connector for the 96-98 civics:

ETA: As for the amp, I would recommend mounting it under the seat, assuming you have room. Pick which seat you want to remove and go from there. I currently have the amplifier for my door speakers mounted to the rear fold down seat on the driver's side in the trunk.

Last edited by gunz4me; 04-13-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:39 PM
HCF Member

The amp is super small, it's like 60w RMS x 2, I just wanted something for extra boost to my new front speakers. Good to know about it not affecting my model though. I have a 99 Civic LX sedan. This is a pretty noisy model, has anyone noticed? I'm going to use a dynamat door kit on the front doors, but I'm thinking about laying some weatherstripping in the trunk and maybe trying to do other stuff to quiet this thing down, lots of road noise.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I have everything...well everything that isn't bolted down....out of my trunk and it's loud. I reall want to lay some damplifier or something in there and the doors.

It's a good ivenstment for sure! I'd be careful putting under the seat....it could get hot and ruin the amp. If thats where you want it, put it under there and then leave it running at a pretty high volume and check it to see if it gets warm

Old 04-13-2009, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

I tore out all my fabric and whatnot in the trunk because after months of fighting a trunk leak, I mean business now. The damn flapper vent is causing me hell, so I'm sealing that bitch up like crazy and I figure while I have all the fabric out, I might as well weatherstrip it.

Hey, out of curiosity, how to you keep your sub in there without caving in your particle board material? Is the spare necessary for that? Obviously anyone in their right mind keeps a spare.... maybe I just need to break down and buy one already.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you can always buy one from ebay thats cutout from a harder cover.... or simply go to your local lumber yard and buy your own and simply trace the pattern and cut it out yourself... 3/16" High Density Board

very easy.
and that flaper isnt to expensive new. i had to replace mine since the foam seal wasted away and caused some leaking when driving.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

I figure the flapper isn't hard to replace or too expensive, I just don't wanna have to remove the bumper. It is just a chore to stress / break clips and buy new ones. It's been super rainy here in Oregon too so the conditions for climbing under my car to undo the bumper has been poor, though in retrospect, I've spend way too much time sealing the flapper, I should have just done it the right way to begin with. Ahh well, I am at work as we speak with a fan in my trunk to dry the sealant. I applied some two days ago when there was a break in the weather and sure enough, it rained overnight and made a puddle of white adhesive soup. :P

Old 04-13-2009, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

So if I'm putting in some nice front component speakers but leaving the speakers in the rear stock for now, would you guys imagine I'll be better off turning the the rear speakers completely or keeping them for inferior fill noise? Of course, I can test this on my own once installed but for the sake of oogling while I wait for my speakers to arrive. :P

Quick Reply: 2 Questions: Front amp placement / stereo dome light fix