Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

4-Channel Amps Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:18 PM
HCF Member

no it doesn't mess with the subs it just has a high/low gain switch to accomodate for how much highs you want

Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
no it doesn't mess with the subs it just has a high/low gain switch to accomodate for how much highs you want
Nice, so how would I set that? Just by listening to it and messing around a bit? Also, I'm thinking if I get that I should replace the rear speakers too right? Maybe with http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 02Hatchback
If i were u id get new rear speakers and put a 2ch ampto them (thats what i did) and i just have the front ones just off the deck and i think it sound pretty good.
No.

Originally Posted by mk378
I'd put the fronts on a two channel amp and do away with the rear speakers. You can buy another two channel amp in order to add rear speakers later.
And have three amps? That means three runs of power wire, three grounds, three individual RCA runs....not to mention the room they take up.

It really depends on how you like your sound. If I were you I would get an amp for the speakers, because that head unit only puts out 16watts rms per channel, where as those speakers are power hungry and if I'm not mistaken will handle 100rms per speaker. The most money efficient way to go about amping your speakers with an Alpine head unit is to get a "power pack". Alpine makes them and they are so much easier to install and only cost $120 all said and done. No wiring kits no running wires just unplug the Alpine plug the power pack into the Alpine harness and plug the Alpine into the power pack. I just the other day installed one in my fathers truck I was skeptical being that Im an installer and wondered how such a small thing could make such a difference but it does.

As far as the 2-channel idea goes its just a bad idea. The 6x9's in the rear are put there for a reason to give you a better all around sound. Also if you were to buy a second amp eventually it would cost you alot more money and good luck getting the settings to match up from one amp to another.

Just so that you know those subs are meant to handle double the power that you are pushing to them.
Definitely agree with that. I'm running just components up front (and a sub) and nothing in the rear....it just doesn't seem to be as full a sound, without that extra cone area, midbass is just a bit lacking.

I recommend getting a 4 channel amp (here's a great deal http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211156714) and leaving/replacing the rears. Don't amp the rears unless they're aftermarket though.....you'll toast the stock ones pretty quick lol.

Last edited by Superfly; 05-03-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

Yeah Clean Civic 98 those are great speakers. ^Thanks superfly for agreeing with me on that and yeah that amp is one hell of a deal altho idk about the site i've never purchased from there before.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

Yeah Clean Civic 98 those are great speakers. ^Thanks superfly for agreeing with me on that and yeah that amp is one hell of a deal altho idk about the site i've never purchased from there before.
Alright I'll get those and I'm close to getting the Power Pack. I just don't feel like running any wires for an amp. And I can get those speakers for a little over $86 new off of ebay I haven't looked yet but are the speakers in the rear deck 6"X9" (1998 Civic DX Sedan)? When I replaced the ones in the front doors I ordered 6.5" speakers, but the stocks were slightly smaller so I ended up cutting a hole to make them fit.

Also, kanarrjl, I laughed forever when I read the Toyota thing in your sig

Last edited by Clean_Civic_98; 05-03-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:29 AM
HCF Member

You don't have to run any amp wires for the powerpack thats what is so great about it! yeah you do have 6x9's and yeah all of the civic 6.5" door speakers have to be cut and usually you cant get the grille back on.

yeah i don't care for toyota too much so i figured hey its true why not

Old 05-04-2010, 08:44 AM
HCF Member

Me neither, but someone I trust told me it's a good site.

Originally Posted by Clean_Civic_98
Alright I'll get those and I'm close to getting the Power Pack. I just don't feel like running any wires for an amp. And I can get those speakers for a little over $86 new off of ebay I haven't looked yet but are the speakers in the rear deck 6"X9" (1998 Civic DX Sedan)? When I replaced the ones in the front doors I ordered 6.5" speakers, but the stocks were slightly smaller so I ended up cutting a hole to make them fit.

Also, kanarrjl, I laughed forever when I read the Toyota thing in your sig
I think it's definitely worth it.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 AM
HCF Member

Will those grills come off in the rear deck? The front grills came off no problem, but I'm having trouble getting the back ones off. The whole rear deck panel doesn't need to come off does it?

Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 AM
HCF Member

Yeah the rear deck needs to come out

Old 05-09-2010, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

Yeah the rear deck needs to come out
This method should work right? http://shortnugly.smugmug.com/galler...69843212_nt4W6

I already removed the rear deck once before so I could Dynamat underneath it and I don't want to remove it again because if I break something it will rattle like there's no tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 4-Channel Amps Worth It?