Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

96-00 Honda Civic Electrical Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Default 96-00 Honda Civic Electrical Problem!

Hello Everyone...

I have a 2000 Honda Civic 4dr sedan. I recently went on and added a new headunit and removed the old OEM one out. The problem that I face now is that it recieves no power at all. It was working for some days until I had to work under the dash again to install an alarm/remote starter system. I didn't install the system and I am sure that I didn't touch any wires because I had to go to give someone a ride. So after I put the dash back on, I tried to turn on my new headunit and it wouldn't turn on and also the cigarette plug. I don't know what the problem is.

I have installed numerous alarms/remote starters...headunits and such..but this a first time for me with this kind of a problem. I checked all the fuses and they seem good. I checked under the hood and it is recieving 12volt+ there. I checked inside and it doesn't recieve any power what so ever. So i KNow its not the headunit. I checked the fuse inside the headunit and it is also good.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Thanks for your help!

Kuttooz

Old 05-04-2006, 11:02 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 96-00 Honda Civic Electrical Problem!

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Check the power outlet and see if it's getting power, you may have blown a fuse if it's not. If you did blow the fuse, before you replace it go back and check your wiring to make sure you don't have a short.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:54 PM
HCF Member

Well if it isn't a fuse, and you have done Remote starts like you said then should know where to get power from, just run your own wires if you have to. Thats what I would do. What'll it take 20 minutes tops? Just snake a new power and accesory wire from the main ignition harness and your good to go. The draw aradio will take from the ignition harness should be minimal enough to not cause any fuse problems and if it does, just bump up the fuse another 5 amps or so.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: amg6975

...................Check the power outlet and see if it's getting power, you may have blown a fuse if it's not. If you did blow the fuse, before you replace it go back and check your wiring to make sure you don't have a short.

Hello.

Thanks you!

I checked all the fuses in the interior fuse panel and also under the hood. In a 2000 Civic, there are usually 2 fuse boxes, 3 if it comes with ABS. Under the hood, the fuse is rated 7.5 amps and it is marked as BACKUP,RADIO. Inside, the fuses are numbered from 1 to 50 something...? and the fuse for Radio is #28. I metered both inside and outside. When I tested the 7.5 back up fuse, it shows a 12volt...so I went inside and checked the #28 fuse, I does not recieve any power at all. I am sure that all the fuses are good because I went to autozone and bought some new fuses and replaced #28 even though it was not blown.

ORIGINAL: sillyredcivic

Well if it isn't a fuse, and you have done Remote starts like you said then should know where to get power from, just run your own wires if you have to. Thats what I would do. What'll it take 20 minutes tops? Just snake a new power and accesory wire from the main ignition harness and your good to go. The draw aradio will take from the ignition harness should be minimal enough to not cause any fuse problems and if it does, just bump up the fuse another 5 amps or so.
Thanks for your reply!

I have a question about the wiring... Should I use the same guage wire or should I got with a higher rated one? Should I add an inline fuse just to be on the safe side? I won't start wiring *until* saturday!

Kuttooz

Old 05-05-2006, 03:18 PM
HCF Member

As an installer I would use the same gauge wire as the Headunit calls for. As far as inline fuse ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Its kinda like sex, too much protection is better than not enough!!! lol well good luck with your project, and remember to use an accesory wire not an ignition wire for the radio along with a constant 12v+ feed. [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]