Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Default Amp installation

I'm a complete noob self learning car audio installer in my spare time and I have got the basics sorted so today I went and got some new 6"x9"s 100W RMS and have picked a suitable amp (Clearly 100W x 2 RMS to match). Is it a case of head unit to amp using the speaker wire, then amp to speakers using speaker wire again, or do I need to use RCAs somehow? I have totally no idea where to start. A DIY section would be really good for wiring an amp with speakers. Or if someone would be willing to give me a fairly detailed explaination, I'd be more than happy to document and photograph my installation and make a DIY to put up. Cheers.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:04 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Amp installation

im not entirely sure how to amp speakers.. (as ive only installed subs) but im pretty sure you're gunna need to run RCA wires from the head to the amp. then just simple speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. it should be that simple but im not entirely sure. im sure someone here will correct me. but thats how i would do it.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:10 AM
HCF Member

Go to wal mart and buy a amp install kit it will have all that you need.

power from the batter directly to the amp(with a inline fuse)
ground for the amp to a good solid grounding point(try to keep it under 18 inches)
rca cables to go from the cd player to the amp
and a acc wire that will cut the amp on and off when your car key turns on

Do not cross your power and ground and try to not cross your rca's over either the ground or power. Use good connectors, never just tape......solder, heat shrink, then tape. The wiring in general will go under the outer lip of your carput after you take the door sills off. Do not drive any screws through the power wire, measure 2,3,4 times and cut once.

Take your time with it and take pride in it and you will do alot better job and be alot more proud of it.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 AM
HCF Member

what happens if the power wire and ground wire are crossed marty? does that cause feedback? cuz my subs right now emit a somewhat high pitched (for subs) sound. sounds like radar blips.. maybe 4 per second. i have my power wire run on the passenger side of the car and my RCA's on the driver's side.. (i changed it. originally i had them both on the passenger side.. but i thought that was my feedback problem so i separated them. but that didnt work)

i looked at my setup today to figure out why im getting this effing annoying sound.. and my ground wire and power wire are twisted when they come out of my amp.. could that be my problem??

Old 02-22-2007, 01:40 AM

Sounds easy enough... I guess. Just one question, RCA from the back of the head unit? If I have a harness, and 2 RCA lookin holes that say rear audio out, L and R, that I don't use as I just use the harness to run my rear speakers. Im assuming that the only 2 RCA ports run to the amp? How do I run the wiring for that?? Do I run an RCA cable just under the plastic skirting over the carpet where the door closes onto? And the acc and power, where do i draw that from?

Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

you can re-do them to see if that is your problem, also check the length of your ground wire and maybe think about a new higher quality set of RCA's. Then if that does not work go to raioshack and pick up a ground loop isolaterthat will go inline on your rca's

Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 AM
HCF Member

dont splice or solder the RCAs! They dont use normal spekaer wire and they WILL be ruined.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:32 AM

Anytime I have amp'ed component speakers (mids and highs) I make sure to use higher quality components. Out of the several hundred installs I have done, I learned through trial and error that if you use lower quality amplifiers, motorola cables (RCA's), and crossovers you WILL encounter alternator noise to some extent. However even with high quality components you will get a minimal noise, but that can be remedied by looping your ground wires.

What I mean is this, I always use a 4 connection battery, for example (andI might add one bad *** battery) the Optima Yellow Top series has top posts and side post mounting. Generally the newer vehicles use the side post and the tops are left capped.

Again, using high quality connectors, run a ground from your battery in the SAME gauge wire that your power is, (if your power is 4AWG, your ground should also be 4AWG)to a distribution block back where your amp's are. THEN find a GOOD CLEAN grounding location at the same location again using a wire of the same size. ALSO, run a 10 or 12 gauge ground wire from the ground block on the component amp to the ground wire on the head unit...I also upgrade the wire that goes between the alternator and the batter with a minimum 4AWG wire with high quality ends.

I know it seems like alot of work, but in the end if done correctly and not sloppy it pays off...virtually eliminating noise...even with lower quality components.

See you can use "ground loop isolators" in line with your RCA's but it drastically CUTS DOWN the pre-outs voltage...thus making you turn the GAIN up on the amp to make up for the volume loss...and the end result is...more distortion...LESS clarity...and MORE heat from your amp...therefore shorter component life span...

As for the whining in the subs...if you ran your RCA's over ANY accessorie wiring under the carpeting it may be picking up interference...definetly adress the ground situation first.

I recommend taking all the seats and the carpet out of a vehicl and running your wires, that way you know what you are running over, and if you need to can remedy that on the spot...and not have to worry about it later.

Power should always be ran from the battery...ALWAYS.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Man that is hurting my brain. Sooo, the basic idea is that I run RCAs from the back of my head unit where it says REAR AUDIO OUT, L and R, to my amp, ensuring not to cross them over any other wires, under the carpet/skirting. And dont use a ground loop isolator. Where does the wire in the back of the HU harness go labled amp? And power comes from the battery, but from where exactly, Im assuming I dont have croc clips running from under my hood to my boot.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:41 PM

Alright basically you have the right idea. I did not specify where on the back of the head unit you connect the 10-12 gauge ground to...it goes to the GROUND on the head unit...generally the BLACK wire. Along with the vehicle harness ground. So you will have to add it to the already existing wiring...

Power comes from the POSITIVE side of the battery...go get you a amplifier install kit...has EVERYTHING you need, and in most cases instructions. But the main thing will be where you run your wires...pay attention to what you run over, etc.

You can handle this man, its gravey!

Quick Reply: Amp installation