Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp placement

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:25 PM
HCF Member
Default Amp placement

Okay my plan is to for now get a mono(class d if that makes a difference) amp to power a sub, so is it better to place the sub under the seat, or bolt it to the back of the back seat(rear not front ), to the sub's box(probably one of the worst spots methinks), etc.

btw looking at the new Rockford Fosgate T500-1 amp, magazine research tells me that their new ones are decent... but I'm new and don't wanna get taken for a ride on expensive junk
and unless my math is off it sounds like it should be able to fit under the seat... but part of me doesn't want it parked underneath me, heat and all... car has AC au natural(wind down windows)

any input is greatly appreciated

Old 08-16-2007, 06:31 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Amp placement

put it in under the seat, i htink its probably the best seat imaginable.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 AM

ive always done back of the rear seat just because the ease of tunning it (ecspecialy if ur back seat folds down). if u take the time and cut little slots in the carpet on the back of ur seat u can run the wiring between the carpet and the seat and it gives for a real clean install, then the only wire in your trunk is going from your amp to your box, unlike with the mounting amp on box options which provides crazy amount of wire ran through your trunk. i have only dun the under the seat thing once or twice at work just because people wanted it. big thing to consider too is if you accidentily leave your windows down and it rains the rain would ruin your amp. ask the owner of a mitsu eclipse with infinity system about that, their amp is under pass seat and i have had to bypass/remove atleast 10 of them due to water damage.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:16 PM
HCF Member

I say put it on the box if you can... or as close to it as possible; the shorter the wires are to the sub box the better. Not to mention, if it is on the box it will all be one unit. but if not, go with the back fo the seat, like jeff948594 said, you can wire it in between the carpet and the seat for a nice looking install. BTW Rockford is a good brand and will provide you with a quality prduct.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:17 PM
HCF Member

id say put it in a place that alows air to get to it or somewere in the open

Old 08-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well thing about mounting the amplifier to the subwoofer box is that if the box is preaty cheap it will flex and thats the worst thing any electronics can be mounted to anything that flexes! the vibrations from the extra flexing can break loose the internal solder joints making the amplifier fail!!!! been thier done that.......
now if your box is nice 3/4mdf and built good and SOLID it wont be a problem to mount the amplifier to it...
the amplifier can go preaty much anywhere it has adiquet air movement/clearance... if not the amp will just overheat constantly!
you want ruffly 2inches clearnace around the amplifier for cooling......

Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

no issues with the sub's magnet and the electronics inside the amp?

magnetic ressonance and all... i know its generally bad for electronics... or am I wearing a tin foil hat nowadays?

Old 08-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well not unless you have a HUGE SUBWOOFER WITH THE MAGNET THE SIZE OF YOUR HEAD....... and the magnet is right next to the box where the amplifier is mounted

BUT ya.. probably not and with a monster sub like that youll need every bit of that 3/4mdf and maybe have to double it to prevent the box from flexing

BUT well unless ya have ALOT of power and space.... ya wont rock bad boys like my old sub

and well this sub takes ALOT OF SPACE. LMFAO

BUT boy did i love that subwoofer.LOL KILLER BACK MASSAGE in my old truck!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

I'd vote for on the box or on the backseat. I'm not a fan of sticking things under the seats. :P
Supposedly mounting it to the box is bad for the amp because of the vibrations, but I have yet to experience any adverse affects. It looks pretty sweet too...

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...HPIM3999-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Photo0022.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...HPIM4001-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...HPIM4002-1.jpg[/IMG]

Name:  Photo0028.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  68.4 KB
(in my old car, yeah, its messy here. I can't find the nonmessy pictures... I like how when you fold the back seat down its like *WHAM* speaker amp. It looks good looking in through the trunk too, or as good as a single sub in a trunk can look. :P

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Photo0245.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Photo0246.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

Well i ordered all my parts... gonna take lotsa pics when in get to installing it... and after doing some lookin, i'm movin my changer... some reason its not sitting flat... and as low as it can possibly go... so gonna see if i can fix that

found out it doesn't like to play discs when the passenger's seat is all the way back [:'(]

Quick Reply: Amp placement