Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Any suggestions for getting started?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Default Any suggestions for getting started?

Hello everyone. I just bought a '94 Ex that's in great condition...it's even the discontinued "Aztec Green." Sadly enough, the right speaker is blown. Being someone who knows nothing about cars, let alone the electronics that go in them, I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how to begin my upgrade from stock speakers. Will any brand work? And what size will fit in a civic? Thanks for your help!

Old 06-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Default RE: Any suggestions for getting started?

The easiest route would be to head over to http://www.crutchfield.com and find out what size speakers you can fit in there. It will also give you some other info about speaker height, depth and possible alternative locations.
Kicker makes great speakers, subs and components.

Are you going to just replace the factory spkrs and deck or are you going to go all out SPL or SQ?

Old 06-17-2004, 03:59 PM

Thank you for that website...it helps alot. Though do you have any tips for discount sites? I want to not only replace the stock speakers and deck, but also upgrade. I'm not sure what SPL or SQ means.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:42 AM
HCF Member

SPL is pretty much all out bass and SQ is sound quality meaning very clear. I suggest checking on crutchfield or www.sounddomain.com and find the speakers that you want. Then head over to Ebay and run a search on that speaker and find the cheapest. Your best route (if its a front speaker that blew) is to go with a component set. Its got the speaker you will need (6.5" or whatever) plus a tweeter (small 1"-2" speaker for hi tones) and a crossover to "clear-up" the music.

Personnally I love Infinity (reference or Kappa series), but there are tons of great companies... kicker, JBL, Rockford Fosgate, MB Quarts, just to name a few. good luck and were here if u have any more questions.

Old 06-18-2004, 12:32 PM

Yeah polo's got it. SQ=Sound Quality, SPL=Sound Pressure Level
Definitely go to the big stores to listen to the speakers and find what you like, then ebay it or check these sites.

Ike Sound
MMXpress
The ZEB

Old 06-19-2004, 06:02 PM

Thanks Fizz....the Ikesound website is so much cheaper than the others! Compared to the Crutchfield prices, there's $100 difference on some sets.

I'm looking at the Infinity Reference 5000cs and Infinity Kappa 50.5cs. Any knowlege of either?

Old 06-20-2004, 03:31 AM
HCF Member

Thats what im running in my wifes car... its a great setup. You'll love it

Old 06-20-2004, 02:37 PM

Thats what im running in my wifes car... its a great setup. You'll love it
Which one is in your wife's car? And another question: On the sites where I found those two, it said that these were for the rear speakers? What kind can you put in the doors? Any ol' 6" speakers?

Old 06-20-2004, 11:59 PM
HCF Member

Im running the 6000 component series in the front and 6x9" Kappas in the rear deck. Any ol' 6 1/2 speaker will fit the front and the back. If you want the component series go with the 6000cs (the 5000cs is too small- it's a 5 1/4" if I remember right)

Old 06-26-2004, 08:11 PM

Another post I read said that the front doors would only fit 6" without having to cut? Is this not true then?

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for getting started?