Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

anybody have any luck with remote starter/alarm/trunk system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Default anybody have any luck with remote starter/alarm/trunk system?

I wanna make my 02 civic as remote control as possible. i REALLY wanna put in a remote starter and alarm system, but i read about systems which also have buttons on the remote to open the trunk, lock/unlock the doors, open/close windows, and even a passive engine shutoff button.
I'd like to hear from somebody who has put a remote system in their car. did ur alarm go off for no reason?

ALSO, i hear that the remote starters CAN be installed in a manual but you've gotta remember to park using only ur hand brake.

let's hear it! anyone have any luck?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:14 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: anybody have any luck with remote starter/alarm/trunk system?

Wrong area.. this is product REVIEW... I thought about doing a remote start for my manual but I always park in gear... has anyone else ever used your car? Would THEY remember if the car is in gear or not? Do your parents ever take the civic? It isnt worth the risk on a manual... and for alarms w/trunk openers you can buy a opener along with the whole alarm package... good alarms dont go off unless triggered

Old 11-16-2006, 05:24 PM

i have a friend that that the remote opens the lambo doors and the motor on/off, windows, door locks, radio, neons, everything

Old 11-16-2006, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

I would second TheMoogly on remote start. It is REALLY dangerous.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:05 AM

so i talked to the owner of a rice racer shop yesterday and he said it's just a matter of time before i remote start my car and it drives through the front of walmart. he refuses to install the remote starter.
i'm soo bummed out about this!!
does anyone know about a way to get around the problem with remote starters and manuals?

by the way, which remote system should i get?

Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 AM
HCF Member

just wanna know why you want to remote start your vehicle anyway. I had the option to but declined it. Kinda thought it was pointless. the only reason i can see why you would need one is to warm up your car if its been in cold weather.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:58 AM

i've never had a remote start installed on a manual before, so i'm not sure how that would work. but my thinking is this, you get in a manual car, you mash the clutch to start the car...the remote start can bypass that and start your car. BUT, once it's done using the signal that's telling the alarm "hey, the clutch is pushed in. go ahead and start" it's, in essence, going to let the clutch back out. if your car is in gear, and you let off the clutch without giving it gas, it's going to die....unless you have very low gears. so what i'm saying is even if the remote start starts the car in gear isn't the car going to bog and die after it's started? and even if you park the car in gear, with the parking brake set, the car shouldn't move anyway. let's go out on a limb and say that you DO have very low gears in your manual that doesn't require you to give it any gas to get going. the car isn't going to have enough force pushing it to overcome the parking brake. and not to mention IF you have gears that low, your first gear top speed is going to be like 5mph. so who is really going to be pulling into a parking spot in 1st gear anyway. everytime i'm driving a manual i don't put it in 1st gear unless i'm rolling from a dead stop, it's just too low to use on a regular basis.

but i have had remote start on a couple of my vehicles. i love it. in the summer it's not really of use because your a/c doesn't as good a job just sitting and idling as it does rolling down the road, and it takes so long for your car to cool off. but now in the winter is when it pays for itself. i dont even have to get out of bed to start my vehicle in the morning. i usually start it when i get out of the shower. then by the time i get my clothes on, etc. the car is nice and toasty when i get in.

and don't worry about having a seperate button to turn the car off. my truck will either run for 15 min. (incase you accidentally start it and/or forget about it. but it's VERY hard to accidentally start it) or until i mash the "start" button to turn it off.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: matts
i've never had a remote start installed on a manual before, so i'm not sure how that would work. but my thinking is this, you get in a manual car, you mash the clutch to start the car...the remote start can bypass that and start your car. BUT, once it's done using the signal that's telling the alarm "hey, the clutch is pushed in. go ahead and start" it's, in essence, going to let the clutch back out. if your car is in gear, and you let off the clutch without giving it gas, it's going to die....unless you have very low gears. so what i'm saying is even if the remote start starts the car in gear isn't the car going to bog and die after it's started? and even if you park the car in gear, with the parking brake set, the car shouldn't move anyway. let's go out on a limb and say that you DO have very low gears in your manual that doesn't require you to give it any gas to get going. the car isn't going to have enough force pushing it to overcome the parking brake. and not to mention IF you have gears that low, your first gear top speed is going to be like 5mph. so who is really going to be pulling into a parking spot in 1st gear anyway. everytime i'm driving a manual i don't put it in 1st gear unless i'm rolling from a dead stop, it's just too low to use on a regular basis.
I think you were not around here when there was no need to push clutch pedal to start the car. Not long ago, just 15-20 years back. Then you would have known, that it is perfectly possible to start the car in gear, and it will drive by itself in idle. Not really fast, but enough to spread some unsuspecting toddler all over the parking lot. Even if engine does not start, starter is powerful enough to move the car, and fully charged battery can keep it moving for a minute or two. And please don’t count on you always leaving car in neutral and with parking brake engaged – read what TheMoogly posted.

That’s why no serious installer will install it.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:37 PM

it's possible to start a car in gear now if you have your foot on the clutch, but as soon as you let off the clutch it dies. that's my point. as soon as the alarm triggers it to start and cuts off the voltage from the clutch safety switch it looks to me like the car would die....just like getting in, starting it, and letting off the clutch with it in gear. it's gonna lunge forward a couple feet, but that should be it. i'm not arguing the point, as i dont care, i dont own a manual car right now. and next one i own will be something i won't be driving when it's cold (i.e. modded sports car that will be parked during winter months)

Old 11-17-2006, 06:29 PM

ya, when the car is started in gear and the hand brake is engaged, the car will just clunk forward and stop immediately.

i really think i could remember to leave the car in neutral with the handbrake on everytime i park.

it's freggin cold in st. louis where i live and i would LOVE to be able to remote start the car. i could imagine it bein pretty much useless in the summer like b!@ck boy said.

i'm really interrested in a remote car alarm and keyless entry and remote trunk release.

DOES ANYONE RECOMMEND A GOOD REMOTE PRODUCT?

by the way, here's my ride. just picked up this 02 civic last weekend for $5,500!

[IMG]local://upfiles/15957/45EC5FEF70F646FB86F269FF4D212A74.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: anybody have any luck with remote starter/alarm/trunk system?