Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Bad Remote wire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 AM
mud
HCF Member
Default Bad Remote wire?

Ive had two alpine type s hook up to a profile amp in my car for a while now and everything has been fine. yesterday I had them playing and they stopped hitting. I've checked the wiring and everything looks okay. I took a small peice of wire and connected from the power cable to the rem and the amp turns on. The rem is still connected to the radio and that still turns on fine. I thought it might be a bad wire so I replaced the rem and it still doesn't turn on the amp by itself. Could I need a bigger rem wire for more power?

Thanks Nick

Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Bigger wire will not help. Probably something is wrong with the radio and it is not powering up the remote wire. You can work around that by connecting the amp remote to the ignition (red) wire instead, then the amp will come on whenever the key is on.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 AM
HCF Member

What ^^^^^ said!

Your remote turn on is for your head unit is probably shot. Don't feel bad because it happens to the best of head units. I had a preamp only Alpine HU years ago that had its remote turn on burn up. I connected the remote turn on lead to the ignition wire and that worked fine.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 AM
mud
HCF Member

When I first installed the subs the amp wire wasn't working, I fixed this already by connecting it to the headunits red ignition wire. Should I try using a different ignition power source, such as the cigarette lighter.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 PM
HCF Member

If it's comming on with the red wire then your all set.

The Head unit's remote lead is basicly just a connection to the ignition power that tells your cd player it too can come on, because the key is on.

Every player I have had has burned out soon enough, so just bypassing it by connecting the amp's remote lead to an ignition wire is fine.

Careful though, some wires are hot all the time. It can't be a wire that has power with the car off. Some Cig. Lighter power sources remain on when the key is off, but I don't think that's so with the honda's.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the head unit goes on and off with the key the red wire is working fine. Just use it.

Be sure it's not wired so your amp is on all the time, that will run the battery down in a couple of days when the car is parked.