Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

bass flatness

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Default bass flatness

I'm running two Mtx 12's, and a rockford amp in a sealed box, but my bass doesn't have the deep bass tone that it should, does that mean I should get a new ported bigger box or a bigger amp?

Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Default RE: bass flatness

I believe the sound you are looking for would be found in a low-tuned ported box, say 28-33hz.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 PM
HCF Member

Yes, generally speaking, a sealed box is going to give you a punchier feeling, something like a kick drum, where as a ported box (made correctly) will give you more of a deep rumbling sound(the women love the vibrating seat feeling of course there are exceptions to that rule, but just in general that should help you out.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-22-2007, 11:59 PM
HCF Member

well usually ported sounds better if it isnt a constant bass, you know what im saying? like if its rap, where it just hits, then pauses then hits again, ported is better, it all depends on what kinda music you like and how you like your bass to sound

Old 04-23-2007, 12:39 AM

ok thanks for the opinions, maybe i'll try to make my own box...

Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 AM
HCF Member

well 1 other thing, is you LPF turned all the way up, that could be making your low notes not hit. Might not be your box, just your amp settings

Old 04-23-2007, 03:47 PM
HCF Member

i wouldnt try to make a ported box without LOTS of experience first, one small measuring mistake and it will throw the tuning off and thus making your subs sound bad and wasting money best cas scenario, worst case, blowing your subs and wasting more mone (usually extremely bad cases, lol)[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-23-2007, 03:51 PM

You can make a ported box easily, just have someone make oyu a design.

Also if his LPF was all the way up he would be getting vocals out of his subs along with the low notes. You mean his Subsonic filter, which should be turned off in a sealed box.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

i dont know, if you dont have experiance, i wouldnt even mess with a ported, even with a design, one mistake, and like I said, your all messed up, that includes something as simple as forgeting to take off 3/4" because of the wood thinkness. Even that can throw the sounds off, best to leave that to profesionals, or by a prefab, even though not made for your sub you at least know the exact tuning and dimensions[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Well thats what I mean by a design. A design will tell you exactly how to cut each piece of wood. It will have a diagram of the box and each piece labeled, A,B, C and then at the bottom with a key saying A: 25"x16", and ect.

Quick Reply: bass flatness