Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

blown fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 PM
HCF Member
Default blown fuse

hey, today i was blasting my speakers and all of a sudden the hu shut off, and now it wont come back on, i know i didn't blow the speakers(i think) so im pretty sure its the main 10a fuse on the back of the hu, or it could be the 3a glass fuses that are spliced into my 12volt power and light wires to the hu. Has anyone ever experienced such an event? im going to replace all 3 fuses this thrusday afterwork, and see if it will work. btw, i am going to amp my speakers, but the dam amps i ordered havent came in yet. and its kind of a newb question, but how exactly can i tell if my fuses are blown or not?

Old 03-20-2007, 01:25 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: blown fuse

look under your hood. in the fuse box there. one of those fuses is for your radio.. (i think. it was on my 96 ex... i blew that fuse a number of times.) mine was a 7.5a fuse... might be different for you. if its a glass fuse you can tell by looking at it. it looks like a blown lightbulb. if its a minifuse or a blade fuse you hold it up to light and look through the plastic and if the wire is broken... you blew the fuse.. if its not then something else is wrong. like i said this is just how it was on my car and i honestly have no knowlege of any other generations or models. haha. good luck. i hope you figure it out and i hope its a cheap, easyfix for you

Old 03-20-2007, 06:53 AM
HCF Member

id say its the 3a glass fuse, cause when you have it loud, the more power is being drawn and 3a seems alittle low. if thats the problem, id defenatly run new wires and put in a at least 7.5a or even a 10a depending on the HU you have, if its a regular HU 7.5a, if its a dvd/monitor 10a.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:19 AM
HCF Member

+1 for new wires, or if you have 16 gauge you would probably be safe to upgrade to the 7.5 amp.

Most radios come wtih 7.5 or higher. Mine uses a 20, but its higher power, my old one ran on a 10.

The wiring size is the thing to worry most about. As long as its rated to hold so many amps, you can raise the fuse size, but don't get extreme and go throwing a 30 amper in there, you might fry the head unit.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:39 AM
HCF Member

look at the fuse, in the middle of it will be a thin piece of wire. If that wire is normal looking, you're fine. If its broken/burnt looking, it's blown. You're speakers and headunit were probably just pulling too much power and you blew a fuse. Replace the fuses and you should be good.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

yeah, i looked at the 10 amp fuse in the back of the hu, and the wire is still intact, but the glass 3a fuse has a mark on it, it looks like marker, and i dont think i marked it, so i probally blew that fuse, im gonna swap each of the 3 fuses at once to find the exact problem, i might look under the hood if that fails. btw i am running 16 gauge wire right now, and its brand new wire, so im pretty sure its a fuse..... i hope, [sm=WTFsgign.gif] thanks for the advice, ill post up how it goes.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:18 PM
HCF Member

did ur whole head unit shut off ?......cuz thats wut happend to me once but it didnt turn off it was only the bass that stopped pounding and it was just a fuse thats for the amp blew

Old 03-21-2007, 12:25 AM
HCF Member

yea dude, the hu shut off. hey reverb can i put in a 4a fuse instead of a 3? i have a few 4a laying around

Old 03-21-2007, 12:37 AM
HCF Member

yup 4amp is fine for 16 gauge, but it is still pretty low for a HU, id put in a 7.5amp. and when replacing those fuses, if it doesn't fix the problem, id use a voltmeter to check if you have the constant & acc power behind your HU (the yellow & red wire going into your HU), check to see if the yellow always has power, and the red has power whenever the ignition is turned to acc.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

also, how is the HU wired in? Like where does it get its power from? If its from an exisiting fused wire, check that fuse too. And if its in the fuse box, check that fuse too.

Quick Reply: blown fuse