Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Budget sub and amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:51 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Budget sub and amp

hey chaos, i live in canada and we have the range of sony xplod stuff too, i have a sony hu, and it works fine for me, and yeah, ive seen their subs, i was looking at them as im on a budget, how are the sound in them for u?

Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 PM
HCF Member

i was on a budget i got one of these in my eg 4 dr, they guve u ur bang for ur buck, i have one which is plenty of bass for me, u can go with 2 if u want tho, those things will bump!!, it has a built in amp, so no worry of blowing ur amp and less distortion since its one component and i think u can find it for cheaper, but herei t is

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eZYFMYV...p;I=204BTA1020

Old 03-08-2007, 04:41 AM

Yea I love the Xplods. I think they are well worth it. They have got good sound and they are no BS like some of the other no-name brands you get on ebay. Im going Xplod front to rear, HU, Amps, speakers and subs, and even wiring. I give them 2 thumbs up for cheap but reliable and good sound kit.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:41 AM
HCF Member

Sony subs are fine, any sub is really, but you need to take into consideration their resistance/voice coil setups. You don't want to get stuck wiht 2 subs that won't wire up to anything but 8 ohms, if you end up some some 4 or 8 ohm wire-up options you will have to double the money input on the amp.

i.e. A 400 watt amp at 2 ohms will only push 200 watts at 4 ohms, and 100 watts at 8ohms.

So if you have 2 subs, each wanting 250 watts, (500 total) and you can only wire them to 4 ohms, you will have to have at least a 1000 watt amp, more expensive. The 1000 watt will push 500 @ 4ohms, so 250 to each channel.

The brand of sub, not so much of a big deal as compared with the wiring configuration. Thats what I look at first. How can I wire these suckers up to hold the least amount of resistance, 2 ohms.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
HCF Member

hey stu, is there somewhere i can read more about ohms and watts for wiring, i would like to fully understand this stuff before i actually wire in my stuff.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 AM
HCF Member

I always just use cruthcfields little guide to doing wire ups.

They are written using bridged, or mono connections, so all of them are laid out assuming you are only wiring 1 channel up. Mono amps are the way to go anyway, Class D mono amps will run cooler and provide more efficient sub power all together. If you want to know your options you can look at this link.

This link will give you a brief overview.
This link is a small amp overview. You can find more info on that site, it's a handy.

Poke around there and see what you find.

In those diagrams, you want to try and get a 2 ohm wire up all the time. So If you have 2 DVC 2ohm subs for example, the second column on the left first choice, you can wire them to 0.5 or 2 ohms. Further down, if you have 2 SVC 4ohm subs, you can wire them to 2 ohms or 8 *bad*, You want to try and make sure whatever subs you buy will be able to wire up to 2 ohms, 4 is ok, but it will require more amp, and you will only be getting half the power out of whatever amp your using so whats the point.

lemme know if you have any questions. It's easy once you get to know the good combos.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:40 AM
HCF Member

I'm sorry but JL Audio(good **** and I am a big fan of it) and Alpine(also a fan of their equipment) are not budget minded systems. There are other brands out there for cheaper that wil perform just as good. JL subs are great dont get me wrong but untill you get to the W6V2 they are nothing out of this world. W3's will get killed by a similar priced RE sub and as far as amps JBL Power Valve series are nice and can be had for absolute dirt cheap.

I suggest a pair of Memphis PR 12's and a JBL BP600.1, that can all be had for under $250 total

Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

I'm sorry but JL Audio(good **** and I am a big fan of it) and Alpine(also a fan of their equipment) are not budget minded systems.
I found a basically new Alpine Type-E sub for $50 shipped on ebay, so brand new defiantely not, but you can find alot of good deals on them.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

ya cool, i like alpine and jbl, but i am limited if i do buy local, and ordering off ebay is cool and all but i also have had problems getting **** from the US to Canada, so.... but ill take a look and see if I can find something cheaper and just just as good a bang for the $, thanks marty

Old 03-13-2007, 03:46 AM

Always remember, good equiptment is cheap if it's stolen. Get a friend who knows some people who knows some people who robbed some people.

Quick Reply: Budget sub and amp