HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual & Electronics (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Building on the car alarm question. . . (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/building-car-alarm-question-21534/)

Polygamy16 05-05-2006 04:59 PM

Building on the car alarm question. . .

what does every body think about CrimeStopper Alarms? I want an aftermarket alarm to do the essential functions...2way transmitters aren't necessary neither is remote start. . .just, open and close the locks, an aux button for trunk(do civics come with trunk actuators by default?) and that will close my locks when the ignition is turned on. . .any suggestions?

mill$civic 05-05-2006 05:48 PM

RE: Building on the car alarm question. . .

viper is #1 on my list..search there products, you can get one with everything..or just the down right basic

..its a cable that opens the trunk

sillyredcivic 05-06-2006 01:23 PM

If all you care about is keyless entry don't get an alarm, get a KEYLESS entry unit. If you want the added feature of an alarm, go with crimestopper, Omega, Excalibur, Viper, or Compustar. They are all pretty darn reliable.

Polygamy16 05-06-2006 05:03 PM

how much does a keyless entry save over a security system? Any particular suggestion for alarm and brand? Ebay prices?

Kuttooz 05-06-2006 11:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Polygamy16

what does every body think about CrimeStopper Alarms? I want an aftermarket alarm to do the essential functions...2way transmitters aren't necessary neither is remote start. . .just, open and close the locks, an aux button for trunk(do civics come with trunk actuators by default?) and that will close my locks when the ignition is turned on. . .any suggestions?

Where do you park your car..? Do you have any aftermarket goodies inside your car?

If yes, go with an alarm/remote starter. You will never know when a remote starter will come in handy...it may increase the price value of the car...for the alarm...you will get a low cost insurance from your insurance company..i am not saying a LOW RATE...it will be about 10 dollars difference..

I would recommend getting anything from DEI.

Polygamy16 05-07-2006 06:14 PM

The only reason I'd prefer not to get a remote start is cause I have a mt. . .i suppose I can just not connect the remote start feature but I figure why pay for a feature I don't intend to use(but wouldn't rule out a nice alarm at an affordable price just to not support a feature)

sillyredcivic 05-09-2006 12:11 PM

Ahhh yes the old M/T. You can get a remote start that will work just fine on your tranny.It requires a little extra effort but can be well worth it. You have to do a clutch bypass and door trigger wire, depending on the brand. The shop I install at uses Compustar, and costs an extra $100 bucks because of the added safety features which need to be utilized but once you have it your spoiled for life!!! Plus I likew Compustar because if you decide later you want 2-way paging its really simple to upgrade(its just a different antenna and whichever remote you want!!)

creed86 05-10-2006 02:19 AM

do you live in a place that has cold winters? i think that is the most practical uses of remote starter, the ability to warm you car up without have to run outside and freeze your balls warm up your car before you leave. everyone up here in MA has em for that very reason

hmdaigle 05-10-2006 08:21 AM

Got remote start on my car for the opposite reason. too friggin hot down here ( Florida) got remote start to cool the car off before I head out.
I agree with the previous poster ( cant remember name) DEI makes great stuff. I personally have a JTI alarm. have had it for 6-7 years not a single problem.. I don't see them around much. so I am not sure they are even still around. but if they are.. its a solid alarm ( been un-installed and re-installed 3 times, no issues, door locks, automagic window roll-up , remote start, trunk release. etc and so on.) Also Alpine was making some incredible alarms. Not sure what they have going on now.. but might be worth a look( they are PRICEY however)

Harold