Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Building on the car alarm question. . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Default Building on the car alarm question. . .

what does every body think about CrimeStopper Alarms? I want an aftermarket alarm to do the essential functions...2way transmitters aren't necessary neither is remote start. . .just, open and close the locks, an aux button for trunk(do civics come with trunk actuators by default?) and that will close my locks when the ignition is turned on. . .any suggestions?

Old 05-05-2006, 05:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Building on the car alarm question. . .

viper is #1 on my list..search there products, you can get one with everything..or just the down right basic

..its a cable that opens the trunk

Old 05-06-2006, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

If all you care about is keyless entry don't get an alarm, get a KEYLESS entry unit. If you want the added feature of an alarm, go with crimestopper, Omega, Excalibur, Viper, or Compustar. They are all pretty darn reliable.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:03 PM

how much does a keyless entry save over a security system? Any particular suggestion for alarm and brand? Ebay prices?

Old 05-06-2006, 11:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Polygamy16

what does every body think about CrimeStopper Alarms? I want an aftermarket alarm to do the essential functions...2way transmitters aren't necessary neither is remote start. . .just, open and close the locks, an aux button for trunk(do civics come with trunk actuators by default?) and that will close my locks when the ignition is turned on. . .any suggestions?

Where do you park your car..? Do you have any aftermarket goodies inside your car?

If yes, go with an alarm/remote starter. You will never know when a remote starter will come in handy...it may increase the price value of the car...for the alarm...you will get a low cost insurance from your insurance company..i am not saying a LOW RATE...it will be about 10 dollars difference..

I would recommend getting anything from DEI.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:14 PM

The only reason I'd prefer not to get a remote start is cause I have a mt. . .i suppose I can just not connect the remote start feature but I figure why pay for a feature I don't intend to use(but wouldn't rule out a nice alarm at an affordable price just to not support a feature)

Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 PM
HCF Member

Ahhh yes the old M/T. You can get a remote start that will work just fine on your tranny.It requires a little extra effort but can be well worth it. You have to do a clutch bypass and door trigger wire, depending on the brand. The shop I install at uses Compustar, and costs an extra $100 bucks because of the added safety features which need to be utilized but once you have it your spoiled for life!!! Plus I likew Compustar because if you decide later you want 2-way paging its really simple to upgrade(its just a different antenna and whichever remote you want!!)

Old 05-10-2006, 02:19 AM

do you live in a place that has cold winters? i think that is the most practical uses of remote starter, the ability to warm you car up without have to run outside and freeze your ***** warm up your car before you leave. everyone up here in MA has em for that very reason

Old 05-10-2006, 08:21 AM

Got remote start on my car for the opposite reason. too friggin hot down here ( Florida) got remote start to cool the car off before I head out.
I agree with the previous poster ( cant remember name) DEI makes great stuff. I personally have a JTI alarm. have had it for 6-7 years not a single problem.. I don't see them around much. so I am not sure they are even still around. but if they are.. its a solid alarm ( been un-installed and re-installed 3 times, no issues, door locks, automagic window roll-up , remote start, trunk release. etc and so on.) Also Alpine was making some incredible alarms. Not sure what they have going on now.. but might be worth a look( they are PRICEY however)

Harold