Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Burned two fuses...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

no that one needs special terminals... just get something like this...
this is the style i prefer myself.
these are VERY EASY to instal!!!! simply strip the wire back put it in the block and use a allen wrench to securely attach the wires to the block!!! plus the clear cover helps insulate it as well.
no weak crimping terminals are not as good as a solid set screw terminal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sound-Quest-0-4-...3%3A1|294%3A50

OR

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stinger-Gold-4-G...3%3A1|294%3A50

i suggest using 4gauge wires for ALL the power wires and ground wires as well. 8 gauge is pretty small.

Last edited by addiction2bass; 12-26-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:57 PM
HCF Member

1)So if I removed all the 8 guage wire and replaced it with 4 guage would I have to also change the grounds to 4 guage?

2)If I put it all through a power block and used a 4 guage wire to the battery, I would need a better fuse correct something like 120+ amps (since my old one was 60a and i have two amplifiers)

Old 12-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

your main battery fuse technicaly depends on what your amplifiers are rated at ruffly. just add up all the fuses together that is on the amplifiers and get about that range fuse for your main...

and yes i would upgrade all the 8gauge wires to 4gauge!
your small size wire is most likely the problem in the first place... think of the power and ground wires as a garden hose... the larger the wire/hose the better the flow of power/water. if you kink one end it hurts the whole flow.

and either way that main fuse holder is toast!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:07 PM
HCF Member

because your wire was burnt up like that, your going to need ALLLLLLLLL new wiring. if u plan on using that 8 gage to the amp DONT as it is ruined. Recycle all that wire.

the street wires dist block would work, the type of connector needed costs about 99 cents at any hardware store. street wires makes great stuff.

take a look at this site for all your wiring and install needs. really great quality for a really good price.

It has been suggested that u use terminals leading INTO your amp. if you want thats fine... but u willmake a better connection without them. depending on how well u do everything, one may look cleaner than the other. Good luck, happy holidays.

ooops heres the link http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...0Fuse%20Blocks

Old 12-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well looking at his crimping ability.... i didnt think he would be that great at puting the whole striped wire just in the terminals.
as just sticking the striped wires in can already be kinda a PITA.....
they are alot more user friendly.

and a bit of advice for crimping. i tend to crimp the terminals manualy as much as i can and then i put the terminal on a hard surface like a concrete floor and hit it with a hammer to really make the terminal solid... and in doubt about your crimping ability grab the wire with one hand and the terminal with your other and pull, if it pops off get another and crimp it harder

Old 12-26-2008, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
and a bit of advice for crimping. i tend to crimp the terminals manualy as much as i can and then i put the terminal on a hard surface like a concrete floor and hit it with a hammer to really make the terminal solid
LOL if youve ever used the Monster Gold Plated Terminals you will know that a blunt object and a lot of force is the only way to squeeze that POS tight enough, not even a vise will do the trick.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

Okay so use 4 guage to go from the battery to the distr. block, then should I also use more 4 guage to connect it to the amps or should I use 8 guage?

Also I am going to need to also change my ground wires from 8 to 4 guage correct?

Again thanks for all the help with this.

Edit: If I got this and got the highest fuse possible it would be okay right? Or would having a huge fuse have negative effects?
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...m?prodID=FH-20

Last edited by Njai; 12-26-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

just like i said..... look at your amplifiers.... look at the fuses on the side of them and add them all up.... lets say your one amp has 2 30amp fuses and your other has 3 30amp fuses... thats a total of 150. so get a 150amp fuse for the main....
i have no idea what fuses are on your amplifiers so that is just how to add them up

putting a really large fuse in the main is not a very good idea to really protect your equipment.... sure it will work but it will take alot more effort for it to blow when there is a problem.... plus 4gauge wire is only suited for about 120amp fuse i believe... dont quote me.

and again yes replace ALL OF THE POWER AND GROUND WIRES TO 4GAUGE.... trash that 8 gauge crap unless you like that melting effect!

Old 12-27-2008, 02:02 AM
HCF Member

Thanks alot.

One more question haha, I was looking into power blocks and came across ones with fuses already in them. Could I have a inline fuse by the battery and also a distribution block with fuses. If yes then would I have to put a fuse for each amps wattage or w/e. (The sub amp is 2x 30a and my dual channel amp is only 20a, so would be a 60a fuse on one side and 20 on the other correct)
Then with a inline fuse with a 80-100a fuse. Am I finally getting it or am I supposed to only have one fuse system?

Old 12-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well you only truely need one fuse next to the battery like always. but extra fuses are slightly better for more safety when it comes to shorts... that way if one of your amplifier blows it will only blow that one fuse in the rear rather than the main fuse and then your not sure where the problem actualy is... so you have to track down the wire for a short and when nothing is found you pop a new fuse in and then it pops again...

they do cost alittle more money tho which is the main reason i tend to just not buy them... but if you want alittle extra safety then go ahead and get the rear double fused type or if you ever plan on adding something else back there like a power inverter go ahead and get one that has 3 fused outputs.....

when i custom wired up my battery in my old civic i used a 4fuse block to keep even the factory wires safe from shorts since i did modify the wiring slightly, just as a precaution. i dont like to fool around to much with the main battery source!

this WAS my overkill setup. cost me about 100-150bucks just for the battery terminals and fuse block and fuses, not including any of the wires. which those are some fatty 1/0 gauge wires. only thing i never finished upgrading was the main amplifier fuse block. just a crappy block i had laying around from a old install...
but i do love those MIDI fuse blocks! so compact it works great anywhere! and have a fuse for quite a few ratings (30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 100, 125, 150, and 175)
so if you want to save some space under the hood or in the back from a bulkier fuse block check out some MIDI fuse blocks...

Name:  d94f26a4.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  110.7 KB

sure beats the hell outta this mess that i had temporarily... tho it did work it just looked horible!!!!

Name:  newcables002.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  56.6 KB

Quick Reply: Burned two fuses...