Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Disabling Key-In Dinger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Default Disabling Key-In Dinger?

This is not an a/v question, but it is an electrical one, so I thought this would be the most appropos place to ask it.

In a 96 Hatchback DX, when the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open, it dings incessantly to alert you of this fact.
The sound drives me nuts, as I often have the door open with the key in.
I'd like to disable the dinger.
Any tips?
Thanks,
John

Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Default RE: Disabling Key-In Dinger?

I wouldn't recommend it, but follow your ears to where the sound is coming from and just un-plug the buzzer, it usually looks like a little electrical relay with some air vents in the side not that it will prolly be easy to get to under there. This won't affect any other vehicle systems in 90% of cars, but don't take my word for it!

Old 06-30-2007, 03:52 PM

Well, I put my head there under the fusebox... And for the life of me, I can't determine exactly where that D*m buzzer is. Also, does anyone know if it's the SAME buzzer as the Headlights-on-key-out buzzer?
If it is, I suppose I'll simply need to permanently close the door-open switch by connecting its wires.... And, can anybody tell me which wires lead to that switch?
And, if it's not, should I remove/disable the buzzer, or just close the door-open switch?

I apologize for the lots of dumb questions, but I've googled my a* off and can't find the answers. I'm not trying to really mod my car, just make it a little bit more Loveable.

Thx again
-John

Old 06-30-2007, 05:00 PM

Yeah, you probably would have to partially disassemble part of the dash to find it. Both the dingers in my old 4runner were accessible and you could just unplug them. The only reason I've had to be under the dash in my honda so far was to put an amp cable through the firewall for my sub amp, I just put it through, mounted the fuse right by the stock fuse block and buttoned it back up.

I wouldn't close the circut for the door sensor cuz then you lose your courtesy lights which I wouldn't want to lose! I think your best bet would be to find some service manuals with the exploded view of the dash assemblies, find the dingers and un-hookem.

Personally I don't think honda's dingers are that annoying compared to the toyota ones I had in my runner. But I dunno if yours are different than mine...

Somebody on this forum probably has digital service manuals for your honda if you ask nicely and the right person sees your post. But theoretically those manuals are not cheap so officially people might be reluctant to share for the sake of the forum not getting in trouble for file sharing... But I'm new here too so I'm not sure what the atmosphere about that is like here.

Hope you can figure it out, if I see the manual for your car some place where I don't have to pay for it I'll forward it along...

Old 06-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Default thanks, and problem solved/closing thread

Thanks for the assistance.
Poking about under the dash proved unsuccessful (though i agree, the best route would have been to locate and remove the buzzer);
What I did was remove the door trigger, and remove the contact that normally causes the green wire to ground when the door is open.

With the contact gone, the vehicle assumes the door is always shut; the dinger does not come on.

Drawbacks: The headlights-on-key-out warning buzzer (same buzzer, I believe) no longer comes on either. I'm not certain how they are all tied in, but if I knew, i may not bother - i'm pretty good about shutting off my lights :-).
Secondly, as you mentioned, i do lose the courtesy light; however, I always keep it to 'always off' or 'always on', rather than the 'door' setting; therefore, I'm not too bothered by that inconvenience.

So it's not the perfect solution, and if I had a complete diagram (and understood circuitry better :-^) I may be able to find a better way; but for now, I'm quite satisfied.

Thank you again for your helpfulness.
Best regards,
John
/close thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Default RE: thanks, and problem solved/closing thread

Right on, well I'm glad you got it how you're happy with it...

Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 PM

i dont know the wire color off hand but it is called "keysense" and it is like a 20-22ga wire coming off of the ignition cylinder, you could have just cut that.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:17 AM
HCF Member

The keysence is blue/red. it can be found at the factory keyless module in the drivers kick, or at the alarm connector at the right side of the steering column (green plug)
Hey johnson96hatch, do you have an alarm in your car? if you do, does the door opening still trigger the alarm with the pin disconnected?

Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 AM

does the door opening still trigger the alarm with the pin disconnected?
ouch, I didn't think about that either...

I checked around a little and I couldn't find any diagrams of where the dingers are, but the slickest fix I read about (not specifically for hondas tho), was to splice a microswitch inline on the dinger's ground wire and mount the switch in the stock fusebox with a label. That way if/when you sell the car you can just show that to the buyer and hey; useful custom feature. Rather than not saying anything about it not working, or just snipping wires.

I'm just really not a fan of quasi-permanently disabling stock features even if they are annoying and I don't see myself having any future use for them...

Does anyone know if those dingers are legally required at all anywhere? I doubt they are, but just for the sake of knowing in case you ever need to get your car inspected. Failing an inspection sux even if it's just a matter of reconnecting a single wire and having it inspected again.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:02 PM

remove the steering column cover, help by 3 screws, then look under the key cylinder and you'll see a little sensor with blue wires(i think they are blue, not sure, just cut one of the wires in case you wanna reverse the procedure

Quick Reply: Disabling Key-In Dinger?