Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

HD Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:55 PM
HCF Member
Default HD Radio

hi, i have the ipod adaptor on my sony cdx gt520 HU and i ordered my Sony HD Radio (Sony XT-100HD). Now i found out after installing my ipod adaptor, that the HU only has one connector. So i can only have hd radio or ipod. there is this multilink that sony has for its HU to have 3 more connectors so i can have both my hd radio and ipod adaptor at the same time. its the Sony XA-C40. and it cost around $80 on amazon. so my question is is it worth spending $80 to have HD Radio or should i sell the HD Radio. Anyone have HD Radio and would you recommend having it. and also, can you list some pros and cons of HD Radio.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: HD Radio

i'd sell the hd, ipod is way better, hd radio is just a new way to get money without doing much. plus you have all of your favorite music already on your ipod.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:26 PM

Are you using the iPod adapter that plugs into the back of the headunit. If so, where can I get one? Can you control the iPod from the headunit? I have Sony HU and would like to control the iPod through my headunit.

Sorry for jacking your thread

+1 for just using the ipod only.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 PM
HCF Member

hd radio has better sound quality than ur ipod.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:35 PM
HCF Member

yes it is the one where it plugs into back of HU and i can control my ipod on my HU. can't control on the ipod itself when connected. I got mines off of amazon. seems to be the cheapest i found about $45 shipped. model number is Sony XA-120IP there is also an older version which is the Sony XA-110IP. not sure which one yours use. which sony HU you use?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:55 PM

mine is a CDX-GT30W, after doing research either will work, however the older one is $6.50 on amazon. The only difference is the new one supports HD radio it says, which i don't need.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:30 AM
HCF Member

good find. i went with the newer one even before i went with hd radio route. let me know how well it works if you decide to get it

Old 07-04-2008, 08:54 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: eloplayspolo

hd radio has better sound quality than ur ipod.
i would like to see your supporting evidence that supports this. it all depends on what quality music and bit rate you put on your ipod in the first place.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I thought the Sony HD adapter had a link output so you could chain along to something else like the ipod adapter. Are you sure it doesn't?

I have a JVC HD deck and HD is pretty nice. You need to be fairly close to the radio station, if the one you want to listen to is weak enough that it starts dropping in and out of stereo it probably won't come in in HD. In major metro areas there is a lot more HD on the air. Check if your favorite stations are even broadcasting HD.

HD FM, at least the primary channel, is much clearer than 128K MP3, but that isn't saying much. HD AM is similar to 128K MP3 or slightly worse. I think HD allows broadcasters to use different bit rates so results may vary between stations, or between the primary and extra channels on the same station.

You can indeed get really good quality from an ipod by using a higher bit rate.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:08 PM
HCF Member

lol at 128, imo 192 is horrible, and 256 is the lowest i will go.

Quick Reply: HD Radio