Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Headlight HID's

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Default Headlight HID's

I just bought a HID conversion kit for my civic 07 EX 2dr. Does anyone know if I have to take out the headlight from the car to install it or can i just easily just put in the bulbs without taking much out? Thanks...

Old 07-18-2007, 08:24 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Headlight HID's

Did it come with ballasts? If not then they arent real Hids.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: gin0o0o

Did it come with ballasts? If not then they arent real Hids.
Yep. if you went to autozone and bought "HID BLUE" bulbs they're not HIDs, they're just blue tinted lights.. You'll have less light than normal headlights.

I'm not sure on NEW Civics, 01-07, but on most Civics I've seen you don't need to take off the headlight housing, because most likely you'll have to take off the bumper and grille to even get the housing out.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:58 PM

sorry should have made it clear. It is a conversion kit that does come with the ballasts.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 PM

ok. You shouldn't have to take the headlight housing off. Open your hood and you should see the bulb connection sticking out of the back of the housing, usually they're just a twist and pull back type of connector.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:11 PM
HCF Member

you can tell if you need to take them off or not. just take out your stock bulbs and try to put them back in. if you can get the stock ones back in with no trouble, then you should be ok with the hid's. i wouldnt try the hid's first though just incase its too tight of a fit.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:38 PM

The passenger side light seems like i can fit my hand through it. For the drivers side tho the battery is in the way and a few other things as well i believe. But thanks for your help...and if anyone has a civic my yr (07) and has done their lights pls let me kno. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:56 AM
HCF Member

When I did my 06, I removed the inner fender liner. MUCH easier. Your gonna cuss and moan and groan. Don't do a plug and play.....go to the battery, fuse the 12 voly source, and use a relay for each light. Wire the relay like this. The fused wire from the battery goes to pin 87, and 86. The negative trigger from the factory connector at the bulb goes to 85. (this is how you turn on the head lights) pin 30 will be the 12 volt turn on for the ballast. The reason for the relay: The ballasts are "sensative" to voltage fluctuations.Ground the ballast realgood. On your ballast there is an in, and an out. Cut the plastic plug in connectors for the bulb, and solder, and heat shrink them. Moister is NOT your friend. Be ready for some "noise" when you turn on your FM radio.Seal up the connections on the relay (after you test the lights) with some silicone. Rap tape around the relay creating a mold if you will, and fill it with silicone. Remember, under the hood water is everywhere, and moister is NOT your friend. Let the silicone dry, and you good to go.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:47 PM
HCF Member

Also......the glare that comes from these headlight with an HID install is HORRIBLE. Roll up to a wall, say 20 feet. Check out the glare of the beam that goes up the wall....it's no good. I love the white light...but the housing is NOT proper for the HID bulbs. You'll get flashed, and maybe like me, pulled over. And then givin a DUI. This happened last December. Sober since. Also did some playin with vinal (the kind used for signs) Got the top 1/2, YES 1/2 covered in black vinal. Looks like ****, but the glare is gone. adjusted the lights up a tad bit.....works good now.