Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Headrest TVs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:46 AM
HCF Member
Default Headrest TVs

I saw another thread for this but it didn't really answer the question I have...

I want to get some TV's in my headrests with perhaps a DVD player...it might not require a DVD player cause I have a Kenwood KIV-700 that plays movies and music videos off my ipod and I do have movies on it soo...anyway...I'm wondering how durable/reliable these things are. My bro had a few headunits that were DVD players and they crapped out after about a year or so. The GOOD thing is I probably won't be using mine as much as him. I DO NOT want a headunit that is a DVD player. I love my Kenwood too much. So I wanted to know some brands that are good and worth the money since it's around $700-$1000 for these things and how long they last...

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2010, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

are you looking at replacing or cutting into the factory headrests??

Old 09-18-2010, 02:27 PM
HCF Member

Replacing.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 PM
HCF Member

I have not done this on my honda (as I have only had it for a week - more than likely I will at some point) however, I have three kids and I did this in our mini-van. I have a Kenwood DDX512 and put 2 monitors into the driver and passenger side headrests. I had never done this before and I think they turned out quite good, although it was certainly a mess cutting into the headrest.

Believe it or not, I wasn't willing to spend some of the money a lot of these monitors cost - so I tried out some cheaper models as I figured if they crapped out it wouldn't be too much of a loss.

I actually bought two Pyle 9" LCD's - they were only $99 each brand new.

(They are similar to these: http://cgi.ebay.com/PYLE-PLHR96-9-TF...b#ht_909wt_911)

Not the exact ones though.

I can honestly say that these have been freakin' awesome monitors - they do not have built in sound or anything, but the system in the van works well with them. The quality is good and each have 2 video inputs so I can run the DVD from the HU on one input and a game system on the other input.

If I had it to do over again, I would. These things get used a lot and abused as my kids are 11, 12, and 3 and after more than a year, they are still kickin (actually, it has been 2 years now that I think about it).

I know that Pyle isn't known as a top of the line, but if I ever put any into the Honda I will get another set of these.

Mike

Old 09-18-2010, 06:56 PM
HCF Member

Well, I did some more research and actually didn't know Kenwood made tv screens though they don't make them in headrests. I think I might give it a try myself. I looked at a ton of headrest tvs including the Pyle ones you mentioned and I just have a bad feeling about them all. My bro said his visor tvs crapper out in 5 months(!!) and he got them professionally installed BUT he said they were always on when the truck was on. I'm hoping I can find a way with my KIV-700 to have the option to turn them off when not in use.

I really want the kenwood ones cause they have a 3 year warranty and I'm pretty satisfied with my stereo. There's a place called go-ho audio here in VA that I might ask if they can get the screens from me how much it would cost to install and hook them up, cause I'm retarded when it comes to soldering and doing electrical stuff.

So I guess I should ask has anyone gotten the Kenwoods LZ-6500W tv screens?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:34 PM
HCF Member

you're gonna want to measure the headrest width and the screen width to make sure yuo can cut into the headrests and mount the screens. as far as turning them off, you're probably gonna have to use the power button on the screen itself, on the remote, or wire a switch inline with the accessory power lead that goes to the control boxes for each screen.

other question...3 year warrenty? really? from where?

Old 09-18-2010, 08:10 PM
HCF Member

That's cool. I'm sure yours will also be somewhat of a styling thing and I can get with that. For me though, it wasn't about style at all - it was more for pure functionality! And considering I knew they were going to be used every time the van was on I wasn't willing to pay that much for them. Like I said though, these things still work flawlessly, no dead pixels or anything.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

What part of VA by the way? I am from SW VA, Roanoke area.

Mike

Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 AM
HCF Member

Cobb- The screens I'm looking at are on dealercostcaraudio.com. I have to wait to go to go-ho audio. They're closed on Sundays. I will definitely measure the head rests first. The screens are 6.5 so they're pretty small but I doubt that's including the frame. Thanks!

Mike- Yeah, I have a 6 year old nephew that it a little ball of terror but he never gets to ride in my car, maybe when he gets older! I also have a baby niece but again they don't ride around in my car...protective mommy and daddy...And I'm a protective "mommy" of my car lol. But I would definitely like them for friends or for long trips so my girl can watch stuff on a bigger screen than 3 inches. Also hopefully eventually for show too. But yeah I definitely like the way the kenwood screens look. So many of the other screens were just eh... Anyway, I'm definitely going to tell my bro about the Pyle screens...do they have some that come already in replacement headrests?

And I live in Suffolk, VA. It's South of Norfolk where all the sailors go.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:19 AM
HCF Member

Okay so I just got off work and measured the headrests it seems 6.5 will fit BUT...the back of the headrests curve...I'm wondering if that just means I'll have to make the hole deeper to make the screens flush or am I going to have to get some other head rests that are flat in the back? Ahhh...this is getting sad.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

Do NOT buy from Dealer Cost Car Audio. I've posted on here about them, and tons of other people have had terrible experiences with them. You don't want to take that gamble....

Just google "dealer cost car audio reviews".

Last edited by Superfly; 09-19-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Headrest TVs