Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

help with trunk rattling

Old 03-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Default help with trunk rattling

i just bought a jbl 12" sub and a pioneer amp and installed it in my 03 ex. when i turn the bass up the rear deck rattles against the glass. the license plate also rattles but thats simple to fix. can anyone tell me how to stop the rear deck from rattling?

Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: help with trunk rattling

dynomat?

Old 03-20-2007, 10:52 PM
HCF Member

join the club man...lol...i got 2 12's in the back and i think im gonna always have that problem...you can never get rid of all the rattle,its just not gonna happen.You can dynomat or whatever you wanna use under the rear deck lid,under the trunk lid and under your carpet...thats prolly gonna help you out the most.If you wanted to put 4 piecesof weather stripping behind your liscense plate thats what worked for me.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 AM
HCF Member

the simplest solution to the rattling in a civic.. is to just turn the volume and the bass up until it overpowers the sound of the rattling... problem solved. thats what i did. ha or just take some foam and pack it into the problem areas.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:01 AM

haha i turn the volume up all the way when girls are bitching in my car lol. anyway i was thinking something else cause dynomat is alittle expensive right now cause i just got the sub and stuff

Old 03-21-2007, 08:54 AM
HCF Member

well i see this in 2 ways, the interior and the exterior.

Interior- ok i have a 98, but from what i ca see, yours and mine are similar in the back, to stop the rattling you hear on the inside (or most of it for me) take some flimbsy pipe (i cant think of the name of it) about 1/4-1/2" thick and take a screwdriver, and force it in between your rear dash and rear windshield, this "should" hold down the back and prevent most rattling (i have JL w3's and crossfire and it works for me)

Exterior- not exactly sure about your car, but for mine, most of the rattling was the plastice piece behind the license plate, takes a little work (like 4 screws or something around your license plate lights) to get it off. Once off, dont waste your money on dynamat, get double sided foam tape and line it around the back of it and edges. Stick it back on and screw it in, do the same for your license plate. That should take alot away, i have a few more tricks i have done so let me know if something is still rattling and i will let you know if i have something for it.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-21-2007, 11:06 AM
HCF Member

i think hat civics were built to rattle. ha. nothing on the interior is secured. especially in the back. its all just kinda floating around i spent months trying to fix the rattle in my car and it seemed like every time i fixed one... it made another. it was annoying. idk what to tell ya. ive never heard a civic with a system that didnt rattle. = /

Old 03-21-2007, 11:37 AM

dynamat is your best bet, but dont expect it to take 100% of them out. i've got my entire trunk lined with dynamat extreme and it still rattles a little bit. but my trunk lid moves about 1/8"

Old 03-21-2007, 02:30 PM

thanks the one, i think im going to do with you said about the pipe

Old 03-21-2007, 04:10 PM

i just went to home depot and bought a soft tube to put between the glass and the rear deck. the problem now is idk how to take the rear deck off lol. any help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help with trunk rattling