Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

how does ohms effective your amp/sub set up

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:14 PM
HCF Member
Default how does ohms effective your amp/sub set up

i was looking at car audio wiring diagrams posted by remmy and was wondering how the amount of ohms your set up has effects how it sounds, etc?

when looking at subs and amps is ohms something i should consider when buying?

thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 03:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: how does ohms effective your amp/sub set up

I would read through this first...maybe it will answer your questions.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_540822/tm.htm

It really all depends on how many subs...the resistance (ohms) really just determines how much power is being drawn from the amp...just make sure that the total resistance of your subs is not less than what the amp can handle.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ohms has just about EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE OUTPUT!!!!!!!!

its the difference from sounding poor, sounding great, and amplifier in PROTECTION mode with no output!

when piecing to gether a subwoofer or woofers, to a amplifier you have to take everything into consideration!
take most mono amplifiers
these are specs from my rockford amplifier [ul][*][*] [align=left]500 W x 1 @ 4 Ohms RMS [/align][*] [align=left]750 W x 1 @ 2 Ohms RMS [/align][*] [align=left]1000 W x 1 @ 1 Ohms RMS[/align][/ul]and with amplifiers and subwoofers NEVER GO OFF OF MAX POWER RATTINGS.... if it doesnt say "RMS" than they can pull that number out their @ss and not back it up at all!!!!!!!
say your subwoofer is like mine.... Dual voice coils 2ohms
depending on how i wire the subwoofers voice coils up is 4ohms, or 1 ohm.
and if you have 2 subwoofers to one amplifier you can wire them to 8ohms,2ohms and 0.5ohms.
0.5ohms will put the amplifier into PROTECTION MODE or maybe fry the amplifier!!!!!
and if you wire them up at 4ohms your only geting 500watts from your amplifier. kinda a WASTE of amplifier...
but if ya wire the subwoofer at 1ohm then you get the MAX output from the amplifier. so your using exactly what you bought and nothing less.

you do want the loudest system for the money dont ya

tho i know its hard to start out cause it can definatly be confusing! just depends how serious you are with your system
if ya get more serious then the box size comes into play as well with the subwoofer itself..... tho i dont want to overwhelm you. to late im sure....

Old 01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
HCF Member

I think he might have also been asking the quality in different ohm levels, not just the sound output, cause obviously, the least load on the amp will usually give more efficiency/power.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:42 PM
HCF Member

Quality rarely changes
Some would argue that with less ohms, your sub is less controlled and therefore the sound quality is worse, but this has yet to be proven
At least from what I have seen
If anything, that would only be if you're pushing your sub and amp towards their limit, keep them within good bounds, and even .5 ohms should be fine
I'll agree to a lot of what addiction2bass says except that if anything the box size is more important than the ohms, i mean if you really wire it to less ohms than your amplifier can take, well, you probably don't deserve that system in the first place

Old 01-21-2008, 06:32 PM

Sorry I'm a bit confused, Say i got these specs for my amp (alpine mrv-f345)

[ul][*]75W x 4 RMS [4Ω @ 14.4V 0.08% THD][*]300W x 1 RMS [4Ω @ 14.4V-BTL (3ch/4ch) 0.3% THD][*]75W x 1 RMS [4Ω @ 14.4V-BTL (1ch/2ch) 0.3% THD][*]50W x 4 RMS [4Ω @ 12V 0.08% THD]
Does that mean I can only wire them up with 4 ohms? and I have to buy a sub and speakers matching 4 ohms as well?
Thanks
[/ul][ul]

[/ul]

Old 01-21-2008, 11:41 PM
HCF Member

Yeah if the only specs given are in 4 ohm quantities then I think if you do it different it could mess up amp, but don't take my word on that. As far as subs go, they usually have 2 voice coils with a certain omhage each, it all depends on how you wire the voice coils and subs together as far as the resistance. the12volt.comhas some great sub wiring diagrams. As far as regular speakers, most speakers tend to be 4 ohm.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 AM
HCF Member

Your amplifier actually does take down to 2 ohms
150 watts RMS at 2, you missed a few specs

Old 01-22-2008, 01:50 PM
HCF Member

ok thanks i'll be able to figure it out.

i need trunk space sometimes and i hate when posers think they're cool in a old POS vehicle with the bass just pounding and the car rattling apart. so i'm just getting 1(one) 8" sub and its gonna be mounted in the cab.

i will read the specs for amp/sub combo's i'm considering and ask if it will be ok with such and such a wiring diagram.

thanks

Old 01-22-2008, 02:28 PM
HCF Member

Just to let you know
a way to reduce trunk rattle is increase the volume of space the woofer has to move air
open up your back seats, direct the sub toward you
many people may say this sounds like crap, but every car sounds different, some cars may even sound better this way, and it's not that it sounds like crap, it's just that people find out how ****ty it sounds when the damn gain is 7/8ths the way up with a bass boost on max
^ complete stereotype tho

Quick Reply: how does ohms effective your amp/sub set up