Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

how to modify stock tweet mounts... ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 06:16 PM
HCF Member
Default how to modify stock tweet mounts... ?

Hey guys, a little question here for the seasoned installers out there...

I'm driving a 98 SI (same as EX in US), btw

I recently bought a set of Clarion SRS1625 components, and I was about to install them this evening, but I don't know how to mount the tweeters in the stock locations (sail panel).
You see, the stock tweets are inset about 1/4", while the new tweets are flush to the trim ring.
I figured I might be able to make a wooden spacer to compensate, but I don't know if that'd screw with SQ or not...
So, how do the pros deal with this type of situation? (as easily as possible, mind you)

Thanks in advance for the help,
Mr^Man

Old 05-26-2007, 06:55 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: how to modify stock tweet mounts... ?

if you want what i think is the best SQ setup mount your tweets in your kicks and throw your pass side tweet out of phase.. i dont like bright tweets and having the one out of phase brings your hieght back up to eye level usally. thats just what i have found works good. thers usally a debate on tweets mounted high or low, i'd A/B it and then make your decision.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
What I'm actually looking for is to keep my tweets in their stock location, but just figure out how to get them to mount properly... would a wooden spacer work fine, or would it affect sound, by filling the space that might be considered the 'enclosure' for the tweet? What would you use instead, to mount them in the stock location?

Mr^Man

Old 05-26-2007, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

tweets dont need a enclosure so use whatever you want for a mounting ring at the shop i work at we would probally use ABS or bondo them in and paint em. a wood ring would probally be the simplest if you can cut it without breaking it. bondo isnt that hard to do if you sand it before it turns rock hard.i'm sure someone else will have a suggestion for ya

Old 05-27-2007, 06:12 AM
HCF Member

i wouldnt worry about it, youll be fine with a trim ring. I would be more worried about the direction that the tweeter is facing, that will effect sound quality more than anthing.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-27-2007, 10:59 AM
HCF Member

It's not a trim ring I'm needing... it's something to fill the space between the back of the magnet and the screw hole in the sail panel (the one that the stock tweet's magnet is against, and where you screw into the middle of the stock tweet's magnet), because there's about 1/2" to 3/4" of gap there with the new tweet... I'll prob'ly end up using a 1" or so disk of wood, about 1/2" thick,with a hole in the middle, and a long screw to reach the hole in the new tweet's magnet.

Mr^Man

Old 05-27-2007, 11:27 AM

YOu will be fine, just to get imaging nice, make sure your dirver tweeter faces directly at the passenger driver head and vise versa.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well with my REaudio compes my tweeters fit great in my tweeter location... BUT i did have to cut off the rear deeper and cut off the clip as well... BUT then i had to glue them to the door.... i just used some hot glue so if i have to remove the door panel i can break the glue loose and just peel it off and putmore glue on it when im done... seems to work great... been that way for about a year... tho alot of people that buy components say thier tweeters wont fit so ya have to do some trimming and fab work....

i sugest some liquid plastic.... stuff works great... cause it actualy bends like plastic, sands like bondo and wont crack like fiberglass....

http://www.urethanesupply.com/Mercha...Store_Code=URE

thats what i use for my plastic molding stuff........ never had a problem with this stuff!
just use thier cleaner and then thier PREP stuff and mix and apply. GREAT STUFF! very easy to work with!

Old 05-27-2007, 06:23 PM
HCF Member

Just dropping a note to say I've been victorious in my battle against my tweeters!!
I found some 3/8" plywood, and I cut some little disks out of that, and used one of the sets of adapters that came with the components (the surface-mount ones), and it worked great!

They sound awesome, btw... alot clearer than I'm used to...

Now for some victory ice-cream... *grin*

Mr^Man

Old 05-28-2007, 04:12 AM

Addicted....what RE comp set do you run? I have heard bad things about all but the new neo tweets, heard the old scott era midbass are pretty nice though, never heard any of the sets personally though

Quick Reply: how to modify stock tweet mounts... ?