Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

I have a sub choice in front of me

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 PM
HCF Member
Default I have a sub choice in front of me

Alright, I have been shopping around a lil bit, and I have narrowed my decision down to one of two things

At the local audio dealer, they are offering me two Crossfire DB 12's, a 480 alpine or crossfire amp, the box and installation for about 1100

At best buy, they are offering me the new model of the kenwood 1700 watt amp, one Alpine Type R 12, and a bass boost ported box for about 950.

I have been told that best buy stuff is sortof inferior, etc, but the alpine sounded cleaner to my untrained and retarded ear.

I have also been told that getting any twelves at all may make my civic sound like ****, since it is so small. -shrugs-

Help me HCF you're my only hope!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: I have a sub choice in front of me

doesnt matter what sub size ya get..... anyone that says certain size of subs suck... doesnt know what they are talken about!
just see what you like and just because it sounds good in one car doesnt mean it will sound as good in your car..
tho for my subs im more of a up and comen no name subwoofer name

used to buy alot of REaudio equipment... but then they sold out to MMATS amps well i think it was mmats... i may have it wrong... but anyways they arent as cheap as they used to be... so now im gonna be switching to FIaudio subs... so far i think they are beter than REaudio used to be! still a no name manufacture but with a great rep so far!!!! realy sweet customer service.... and great products...

but if your not a self instaler.... ya should go with the what ever they sell...

Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Stumasters

Don't waste money on dynamat, its just for sound dampening, i.e. road noise.

Get a 3 dollar roll of foam insulation, listen to every inch of the car with it cranked, and pack it in the problem areas.

You can also look for loose items, like a jack, tire, tools, and wrap them with bubble wrap or what not, to keep them from absorbing the vibration. The key is to keep every metal touching metal situation to a min..

Foam is an instant fix, and done right, is clean.

Most often, its a trunk or liscense plate that is bad. Listen there first.
do this to your car. stu knows what hes talkin about. it doesnt matter what size subs you put in your car, if you dont have anything secured down or foamed up. its gunna rattle. somethin about civics.. idk what it is. seems like everything is just a little bit loose on the interior. but if you take the right steps. you could put 3 15's in there n it would sound good. (provided the 15's you put in were good quality subs and sounded good themselves)

Old 02-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

true... tho ya wouldnt have much trunk space left.LOL
and instead of bubble wrap i sugest using some 1/4-1/2inch foam....

Old 02-09-2007, 06:28 AM
HCF Member

I am leaning towards the Best Buy setup myself, I am not much on Crossfire, although I know alot of people on a budget have gone when their systems, I just honestly don't have any experience with them, and Best Buy might hook it up and give you a warranty.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well also... either way... or where you get them instaled they wont secure your subbox.... youll need to do that yourself somehow...
other wise someone just pops your trunk and lifts your subs and amp with the box and cut a few small wires or just man handle them out of the trunk and your systems gone...

Old 02-09-2007, 09:55 AM
HCF Member

See if u can get the alpine type r's with an alpine amp

Old 02-09-2007, 01:52 PM

crossfire makes a pretty decent amp, i've had a couple of them. never dealt with their subs though. alpine does make some great stuff.

let me guess, the people trying to sell you the crossfire stuff are the ones that said the best buy stuff was inferior? their stuff isn't inferior, but alot of the time their installers are ignorant.....which so are alot of their salesmen.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:24 PM
HCF Member

yea that whole size of the subwoofer sux thing is bullshiit...i got 2 12's and it sounds gr8, so totally disregard that false statement........secondly, "best buystuffis inferior" is also a false statement, just because its from best buy makes no difference, a brand name sub is a brand name sub regardless of where it is sold from. and finally id say neither of these deals are very good for what you are getting.....go to www.crutchfield.com and mix and match boxes/subs/amps.......you could very easily stay under that price range you mentioned for a niice *** system.....id recommend infinity subs, but there are many other good ones on there....then jus go to circuit city or best buy after you buy the stuff and get it all installed for 70$........thats what id do (thats what i did do) lol

Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 PM
HCF Member

TYPE RRRR!!!!! sound great and hit hard too. that price totally sucks though.

Quick Reply: I have a sub choice in front of me