Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

i need help on neon light

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Default RE: i need help on neon light

yea i have those .. my friend did it for me supposably its really hard but just yesterday i saw somwone around here post it up and he had a lot of details on it ima try to find it and give u the url

Old 02-13-2007, 07:47 AM

yeah, someone in here already said it for the most part, but the sound activation on the neon is kinda crap, and being that close to the speaker, I could imagine it wouldn't pulse right....i used to have pulsing neons too, and yeah, even road noise can set them off....

as far as the ground bolt...yeah, if it's grounded to a crappy ground, then it could just be a bad ground...but that's a different story.

Try going to autozone if you plan on wiring it to the fuse...they are the only store that sells this lil fuse Y adapter that goes into your fuse and it has a positive line that comes out. super clean install...dont have to cut or "ghetto-rig" install it....and then just wire the switch somewhere on the positive wire and ur good to go

anyways, hope that helps!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:25 AM
HCF Member

Just go to oznium and buy a bunch of pre-wired led's, or use their how-to information to figure out which resistors to use with which led's, and wire them yourself, you won't save alot of money over the normal ones though.

The pre-wired versions are available in like 3 styles, and lots of colors, the 3mm, which I bought, are tiny, and could easily fit in almost any small hole. the vents would be easy to rig up, and they are right there around the wiring anyway. Just run them all to a switch, and run the grounds to 1 central ground wire and ground it somewhere back there, it will be cake once you try it.

Anywhere you can drill a 3mm hole, basicly, you can put an LED, as long as you can wire it up from behind and run the wiring somewhere to a power source, your a-ok.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:49 AM

I have all my under seat/dash and centre consoles running off one switch, which draws all its juice from that wire in the dash leading to the cigarette lighter, each with its own fuse. Im in the process of planning and installing another system to run LEDs for all my vents AND speaker grills, and I have been trying to use a sound interface but, as everyone has already mentioned, they suck. Unreliable. The only thing i need to know is where to get the power from. Where do you draw the power from to run them. Can someone please tell me where I wire them to for juice?

Old 02-22-2007, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Chaos
The only thing i need to know is where to get the power from. Where do you draw the power from to run them. Can someone please tell me where I wire them to for juice?
the fuse box on the interior of the car. Under the driver side dash, you can use a multimeter to see which fuses work when, and then wire in from there. Ciggerette lights arent very clean looking, but with the fuse box its totally hidden and very reliable and its just a very clean install. You should post some pics up, thatd be helpful If you intall the right size fuse and have the wire spliced into the 2nd post on the fuse (the post that the power is exiting through), you can use that as your fuse and dont need to worry about any in-line fuses, which cleans the install up even more.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:54 AM

Didnt

Old 02-22-2007, 10:04 AM
HCF Member

......?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:06 AM

I read through the post...didnt see anyone mention connecting the positive (hot) and the negative (ground) to the + and - on the speaker terminals....

Woah...calm down before you get all bent out of shape....

This works, I have done it for years when I did installs as an alternative income source...(bi product of being married.)

I know the first question is going to be noise from the neon...think about it...obviously if it is hooked to a sub, a CROSSOVER should be installed inline BEFORE the amp thus removing any higher frequencies that can potentially damage the voice coils anyway.

Performance? RMS wattage, and MAX wattage is broken down into DC voltage. Ranging from under 1 volt, to around 14.5-16 volts DC based around how hard you drive your equipment. The neon would work off the same voltage, and performance would drop, but in such a minute amount that you would never notice it.

Turn off the sound activation, turning it onto ON all the time....wire it up and it will "bump" with your "bump"

Hey, give it a try, and see for yourself. Think about it...they sell those "pre loaded" band pass boxes with neon lights already installed...but you dont see any wires coming out to hook them up do you?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 AM

Didnt? What the...that was weird.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Tonymore

I read through the post...didnt see anyone mention connecting the positive (hot) and the negative (ground) to the + and - on the speaker terminals....

Woah...calm down before you get all bent out of shape....

This works, I have done it for years when I did installs as an alternative income source...(bi product of being married.)

I know the first question is going to be noise from the neon...think about it...obviously if it is hooked to a sub, a CROSSOVER should be installed inline BEFORE the amp thus removing any higher frequencies that can potentially damage the voice coils anyway.

Performance? RMS wattage, and MAX wattage is broken down into DC voltage. Ranging from under 1 volt, to around 14.5-16 volts DC based around how hard you drive your equipment. The neon would work off the same voltage, and performance would drop, but in such a minute amount that you would never notice it.

Turn off the sound activation, turning it onto ON all the time....wire it up and it will "bump" with your "bump"

Hey, give it a try, and see for yourself. Think about it...they sell those "pre loaded" band pass boxes with neon lights already installed...but you dont see any wires coming out to hook them up do you?
uh......wrong thread maybe? Haha

Quick Reply: i need help on neon light