Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installing a 4 channel amp Do I need two kits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 AM
HCF Member
Default Installing a 4 channel amp Do I need two kits?

I have a quick question...Anyone?

I got my two mtx 4500's and a thunder box last night. I am going to buy a JBL 4 channel amp. Well do I need to amp install kits for 4 channels? I got two new speakers in the doors that need amping besides the 2 mtx's in the back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockford-Fosgate...QQcmdZViewItem

8 gauge for those speakers or 4 gauge? I really want to buy one today....

Thanks

Old 03-07-2008, 11:55 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Installing a 4 channel amp Do I need two kits?

I don't see why you need 2 kits for 1 amp?? Unless your counting on the amount of speaker wire or rca cables that comes with it. Otherwise you just need your positive, your ground, and your remote wire (small wire). As far as the gauge for the power wire, how many amps does it draw? You can also check the manufacturers recomendation. Knukonceptz.com has some good kits that are cheaper than that one. I used one and its pretty good. Comes with basically everything you need. If you look on that page they even have a 4 channel specific amp wiring kit.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...lation%20Kits#

Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cowsgonemadd3

I have a quick question...Anyone?

I got my two mtx 4500's and a thunder box last night. I am going to buy a JBL 4 channel amp. Well do I need to amp install kits for 4 channels? I got two new speakers in the doors that need amping besides the 2 mtx's in the back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockford-Fosgate...QQcmdZViewItem

8 gauge for those speakers or 4 gauge? I really want to buy one today....

Thanks
Itkenbo, he said he was going to use two amps.
Yes you do need another amp install kit for the second amp.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:08 PM
HCF Member

It's Ltkenbo
and that still doesn't make sense. He said he is buying a 4 channel amp and wants to know if he needs 2 (he said to) for 4 channels so I assume he is talking about the 4 channel amp. No a 4 channel amp only needs one kit. You need one for each amp.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 PM
HCF Member

no you dont need another install kit..... buy another rca line and a distro and your done

Old 03-08-2008, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

Okay before Monday comes around so I can get it shipped.
I bought a kit. It came with the RCA cord its 20ft long. I have 4 speakers and one 4 channel amp. 2 alpines in the door and 2 mtx 4500's subs in the trunk. Where do I put the amp? Under my seat? On the back of the sub box? See I am not sure of the wiring process. I have to feed a wire to the crossover box to each one of the speakers in the doors. So where would I put this? I got a amp wiring kit here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=020

And here is my amplifier:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=006

Okay so what else do I need to hook up the 2 speakers in the doors? A spool of 8 gauge speaker wire at radio shack? To go from the crossover to the speakers or do I connect the original wires that are on the speakers now to the exit point on the crossover somehow? See I have my alpines in the doors now connected to the stock wiring. I do not have the tweeter installed nor the crossover as I had no amp but my speakers were making bad noises as they were stock and maybe dying? Anyways I want to know what to do there? I am set for the two subs as far as wiring.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2008, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

I wouldn't put it under the seat. Cause if you ever leave your windows open or anything like that it be the easiest to get water damage in that location. Yeah back of the box or back of the seats in what most people do unless you make a custom rack. I've got my 4 channel on the back of the seat and the mono on a platform thing right below that one to make it look nice.

As far as speaker wire I would say 10 or 8 gauge for subs and 14 for door speakers. As far as the crossovers (if your still using the stock wiring) then te stock wiring should go to the input of the crossover and then run the 14 gauge wire from the output of the crossover to speaker and tweeter. I've never installed component but I most people put the crossover in the door otherwise you have to run the wires through the door molex which is a pain. I did it on my right door but on the drivers its almost impossible.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

NO use one kit jsut make sure you run a 2 channle and a 4 channle Rca so if you decide to put a 2 sub amplifier in and keep the highs amp on your speakers you can also make sure tha you run 4 Ga wire becuase if you run two amplifiers they will pull more current then 8 ga will be able to handle this is the same advice i give customers everyday in my shop that want to get a four channle amplifier first or the other way around

Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 AM
HCF Member

The alpine crossovers show 3 inputs or 3 spots for wire. I have one input it shows as "from amp" and shows the amp coming from the deck. Then it shows output to door speakers and output to tweeter. Thats on each crossover. If I am going to amp them do I not do it this way and not use the stock wiring or cut it off from the system?

So I looked at my subs. They have this pushover connection I am sure you all know if you have subs. Its a thunderbox by mtx. Do I just put the 8 gauge wire into the holes while pulling out and then release and it clamps over it tightly?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:31 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cowsgonemadd3

The alpine crossovers show 3 inputs or 3 spots for wire. I have one input it shows as "from amp" and shows the amp coming from the deck. Then it shows output to door speakers and output to tweeter. Thats on each crossover. If I am going to amp them do I not do it this way and not use the stock wiring or cut it off from the system?

So I looked at my subs. They have this pushover connection I am sure you all know if you have subs. Its a thunderbox by mtx. Do I just put the 8 gauge wire into the holes while pulling out and then release and it clamps over it tightly?
Putting wire through the molex connector into the door *may* be a pain in the ***. I say "may", because from what I hear it is - I didn't even bother trying. When I ran my components, I tapped into the stock speaker wiring that comes from the door speakers inside of the car (thereby not having to fish wire through the door molex). In terms of hooking it up, you've got one wire that runs from your amp, into the door, into the crossover. From there, one wire will connect the crossover to the woofers in the door, and one wire to the tweeters.

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Installing a 4 channel amp Do I need two kits?