Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installing different aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 AM
HCF Member
Default Installing different aftermarket head unit

Allrighty, here it goes.

I'm pretty sure I am going to sell my civic (but get another of course.) As it is right now, I have my Pioneer deck in the civic which I would prefer to keep.

If I was to buy a cheaper deck on ebay (or wherever), can I simply take out the Pioneer and easily plug in the new deck without a hassle?

thanks

Old 02-12-2008, 11:46 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Installing different aftermarket head unit

yes...

Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM
HCF Member

NO if the radio is not the same make or in some cases even in the same makes will not have the same plug the radio will burn up you need to re-wire your harness. If the pins are in diffrent locations on theplug for the new radio it could send current intothe wrong location in the radio and burn up the board.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: texasmade

yes...
haha... and what cd players have you swapped that just plug in? In most cases the connector and harness that come with the cd player you plan to buy will have the same colored wires as your old harness. If you want to swap cd players, it's really simple. Your red wire is your ignition, yellow is power, and black is ground. Then if you're running an amp your remote is blue, but the way it sounds, you're not. The other eight wires are your speaker wires, purple, gray, white, and green. Each set of colors goes to one speaker, the one with the black stripe is ground, the other is positive. my suggestion is to leave a little of the old wire from your pioneer harness so that when you go to hook up your new one... wa la! you know where they go.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If it's installed with a harness adapter, simply unplug it from the factory harness. You can sell the car like that with no radio, slap in an old factory radio, or another aftermarket but please use a new harness adapter for it to simplify replacements for the new guy.

Now your Pioneer with harness adapter still attached will plug right into practically anything Honda.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

^ dito

tho if your gonna sell it just look for a OEM radio so you can just unplug your radio and slap in the factory radio...

if you swap a cheaper radio in it its more money and work than i would personaly put into it.... either sell it without the radio or oem radio.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 PM
HCF Member

Allright, thanks guys.

And yea, I was iffy on whether or not its worth the amount of work.