Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installing LED lights in interior via tapping a fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Default Installing LED lights in interior via tapping a fuse

I have a question about installing LED lights in my car interior.
I apologize for being slightly retarded when it comes to electronics and wiring.

I purchased LED light strips for my car, tap-a-circuit mini, and a toggle switch. I am really not sure where I should get started. I have everything I need to install this.

So for my first question, If i am using a toggle switch to control the LED lights, do I route the LED wires to the toggle switch and then connect the toggle switch wires to the tap-a-circuit (which means that the toggle switch + LED strips are getting power off one fuse)? OR do both the toggle switch and the LED lights need to have their own fuse/ power source?

I appreciate any help in advance.

Last edited by matthayzon89; 03-16-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 AM
HCF Member

Led strips designed for cars come 12v rated without requiring resistors. You can tap into anything 12v in theory. I've used the accessory ports in the fuse panel under the dash on the driver side. Basically you you run some 12v source to the switch and then from there to the positive of the leds and then run the led neg. to any ground and it should work. The accessory ports are fused but some of them supply 12v all the time and the others are linked through the ignition so they only work when the car is on. There should be 2-4 ports open to connect to. If you use a quick connect female terminal you can just move it around to whichever port you prefer once you've wired everything up.