Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installing a sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:48 AM
Default Installing a sound system

I've made a start installing my sound system and have got the rears pretty much sorted thanks to the DIY on this site and I was going to make a start on the head unit and the fronts tonight but i had a look at them and i am stumped. How? Where do you start? Does the bottom half of the inside of the door come off? Is there screws or do you just yank it? and where do you start with getting the standard radio/cassette out? Im going nuts here. If anyone could point me in the right direction to get me started then im sure I'll figure the rest out myself but right now i think i want to jump off a bridge.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Default RE: Installing a sound system

I am unsure as to whether other models are the same, but on my 1998 EK the front speaker covers (at the front edge of the doorcard) will just pull off. They are held on by spring-loaded clips that simply pop on and off. Good old Honda eh?

Once you inspect your standard speakers, you will probably notice that the front speakers only have 3 mounting holes. Who the hell sells aftermarket speakers in a 3 hole design!? I take the 'Good old Honda' comment back...

I tried all sorts of retailers for a set of adapters so that I could install my new Infinity speakers, and they came up with nothing. Apparently they just don't manufacture them for Civics, despite being available for the Accord, CRV, HRV and Concerto. Seems a little odd to me, seeing as I am fairly certain that the Civic was and still is, Hondas best selling model.

In the end, I resorted to fabricating a pair of MDF adapter plates, so that I could re-use the original mounting points. A little cutting to the door card is required though, as I am sure you will discover when you take a closer look. Well worth it though - I now have a full system that is really impressive to say I'm still short of a Sub/Amp. The infinitys in the front seem to compliment the rears perfectly. I can post some pics of my fronts for reference if you wish.

=chris=

Old 07-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

for my 99 ex my door panel speaker cover just unsnap... tho be sure your speaker will fit!!!! i put in some bigger components and had to do some preaty good surgery to make them fit... in dept and in width..

a chiltons manual works great for showing you how to take stuff apart...

Old 07-26-2006, 03:13 AM

Whoa, you sure cut a hefty sized chunk from your doorcard! I just cut the 'ribs' from the back of the recess with a Stanley knife. This allowed enough room for the connections and magnet at the back of the speaker. It seems you just did away with the lot...

Old 07-26-2006, 04:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

had two it wouldnt fit.LOL

first i tried choping out just the basket but the whole wasnt straight so i had to chop out even more off the outside so the speaker would sit flat on the trim.....
that was my second door panel chop... first one i did little pieces until it fit but second time i knew how much i had to chop out and just did it