Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

looks like a short, but some help would be awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Default looks like a short, but some help would be awesome!

its been doing this since i first bought my 95 civic coupe last year in aug. ok SOMETIMES when i hit the brake pedal my aftermarket head unit cuts out for a full second or two. i didn't install the headunit myself. it doesn't happen in the cold weather hardly at all but with the summer coming again... i need to fix this thing. i think its a short, but how do i find it?

Old 04-11-2006, 05:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: looks like a short, but some help would be awesome!

Hmmm. The first thing I would do is check it behind the brake pedal for any ghetto wiring. Second, you need to look behind the radio to see if the wires have been butchered and or installed properly by utilizing a proper wiring harness adapter... usaully made by either Crutchfield or Metra

However, my guess is the fact that pure inertia is pulling a loose wire apart behind you radio. [8D]

If you do not know how to pull the radio out just ask. And state what year and model (ex,lx,dx,hx) your civic is.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-13-2006, 07:45 AM

yeah, there's no ghetto wiring behind the pedal so i guess the next step is to take out the headunit. my car is a 95 ex. any help would be greatly appreciated. i'm not real sure how to take out the radio.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:33 PM
HCF Member

My best guess is remmy's idea. It sounds like the wiring harness might be messed up. Get the H/U out and make sure everything is connected right and nothing is loose. If it looks like a pretty crappy job I would re-solder all the wires on it then electrical tape everything just so you know that you hooked it up right. If that doesn't help check the brake thing, although i don't know how that would be affected by hotter or cooler temps.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: fastman90

although i don't know how that would be affected by hotter or cooler temps.

I wouldnt conisder that unles I have run out of all options. Headunits are desiged to handle tons of heat.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

SHort circuits always blow fuses.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

SHort circuits always blow fuses.
That's not true, you can have a short circuit that is still limited by a resistance and will just slowly drain your battery.

As for the problem, I agree with Remmy, check out your wiring and everything. Is there something in there that has some mass to it that might pull on the wires when you brake?

Old 06-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Default figured it out

i figured out what this is and decided to post it in case anyone else runs into this problem. my battery was fried. the voltage was so low coming from the battery that when i pressed the brake pedal the voltage draw was too heavy to support both the tail lights and my stereo so it cut the stereo. i just got a new optima battery so i don't have to worry about that anymore. =]