Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New Trunk Build/Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:19 AM
HCF Member
Default New Trunk Build/Setup

So, I haven't posted in a while since I've been away at college but since I've been home I decided to redo my trunk audio setup. So here's what I've done so far over the last couple days:

Old trunk setup:
Name:  DSC00173.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  29.9 KB

New Setup:

Name:  DSC00177.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  DSC00185.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  DSC00186.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:  DSC00179.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  33.7 KB
Name:  DSC00189.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  37.5 KB
Name:  DSC00197.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  82.0 KB

Name:  DSC00198.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  DSC00201.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  DSC00204.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  DSC00206.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  89.0 KB

I've still got some more work to do obviously but its turned out pretty well so far. Eventually I'm gonna carpet the outside, vinyl the inside of each compartment, and add some oznium million color LEDs. Tell me what you think...

Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: New Trunk Build/Setup

looking good. can't wait to see it w/ the carpet.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 AM
HCF Member

Looks good. Can't wait to see more progress. Keep us updated!!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 AM
HCF Member

Guna look sick!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 AM
HCF Member

I like it! I wanna see it when it gets carpeted!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

alittle advice if you ever want to tweek it to be alittle better.....
double layer the front panel on the sub side and dont let the screws show thru the plexiglass open area..... and make the trunk arms alot smaller openings.LOL

hope the plexiglass is think enough to hold..... what thickness you use?

reminds me i gotta redo my stereo setup in my civic..... but first im redoing my suspension....
then ill plan the rest of my bass to be swaped out with.... right now i got 2 type R12s but they are both kinda ugly so definatly not gonna stay in the car! im a cosmetic freak when it comes to showing off my baby!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 AM
HCF Member

I'm probably gonna cut the screws down so they don't show. Remember I'm not finished yet I know it still doesn't look that good but once I get the vinyl and carpet and everything it'll look much better. I'm using 1/4" plexi/acryllic for the sub window which I know isn't super thick but it should be enough, I used like 12 screws plus silicone and that stuff doesn't flex easily (not that thickness at least and that small of piece). As far as the openings for the trunk arms I was having trouble with the left one with all the wires and it was rubbing with the smaller length I had originally so I had to make it wider and I made the opposite side wider to maintain symmetry somewhat. Still a work in progress (i still got add plexiglass to the other amp compartment too) but I can't wait to get it finished, it'll probably be a couple of weeks though (gotta earn some money).

Old 05-08-2008, 01:13 PM
HCF Member

nice, you actually did a really nice job with that so far, keep us updated, I want to see the finished product.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya not to sure about the plexiglass..... at least around the sub...
if youd do have problems with the 1/4inch plexiglass look into this site...... seems pretty decent price with lots of different thicknesses and sizes to chose from... i bought from them before, with some pretty thick 0.708 thickness tho its pretty old now and definatly scratched up alot.LOL

http://www.mcmaster.com/
search for acrylic

they also got some cool mirrored stuff
tho making the box with this mirrored stuff can be tuff! you pretty much build the box with just predrilled holes and trace the inside position of the box sides... quite a bit of taking the box apart and other sides added just to ensure your trace line is perfect... and measure it and glue the mirrored acrylic down to the mdf pieces when the box is apart still and then assemble the box... hardest part is cutting the stuff because it cracks easily!!!!!! id sugest a cut off wheel to more less melt it apart.... using a blade and trying to crack it apart cracks the corners to easily! i learned that the hard way with my old box setup... tho i just got the mirrored stuff from local home depo. that was about 5years ago... but if you get it done right or at least close a box that has mirrors on the inside can look sweet!!!!!!

and you really dont have to do every wall... you can do either side and just carpet the other sides which will give the inside of the box the never ending look.... its pretty sweet!
i wish i still had a picture of it, but my old computer crashed so much they are long gone. just an idea that might look cool from the trunk...

also with the amplifiers if you do cover them over with plexiglass then make sure you got somekinda opening in the amplifier rack so cool air can get in there easily enough... if not add some fans to help cool them properly....

and with the trunk lid arms, simply remove the clips that hold the trunk wires to the arms and use some zip ties and tie them to the back of the arms instead of the sides. thats how i did mine....
you can kinda see it in this picture... just do that to the wires and trunk release cable...

CLICK LINK....

it lets ya keep the openings alittle smaller and better looking IMO. mine look very close but then again i just carpeted over the whole panel front and back and then just used a razor blade right down the center of the openings not perfect but still pretty nice. its hard to wall off the trunk and keep the trunk arms looking clean

ive been trying to get some 4door hinges from a 92-95civic since they dont use the large C arms, only small hinges and shocks on them. but they are alot harder to find then you would think!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

I'll just have to see how it works out. As long as it maintains the seal it should be ok yeah that website looks like its not very expensive either for plexi. I had also thought about mirror stuff but I thin I'm just gonna go with some white vinyl. It'll bring out the colors of the million color LED strips so that way the vinyl would kind of appear to be changing color when they do. As far as the amplifiers go yeah I'm probably gonna use some pc fans and there will be openings because I have to cut holes for the wires and stuff.

I was also wondering, you know the amp remote turn on wire? Well does anyone know how many volts it is (I guess I could just go measure it) but I thought about maybe connecting it to a relay which would trigger the LEDs whenever the amps were on. Do you think this would work?

Aslo one more question, I thought about maybe making the carpet removable like with a huge thing of velcro that way I could still get at the screws you know so if I needed to take something apart for some reason, not sure how well this would work though. Let me know if you've got any better ideas or what you think of this one?

I'm also probably going to use a little bit of fiberglass for the corners to fill that missing space.

Quick Reply: New Trunk Build/Setup