Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Newbie help, stereo install - easy question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Default Newbie help, stereo install - easy question

Here is the situation, I have a friend who has a 2000 civic. It came with a tape deck, but she wanted a CD player, so she went to Circuit City and had them install a cheap CD player. Then it got stolen (not sure why anyone would want a $75 CD player, but that is moot). So she had another intalled, and it got stolen. it has happened 3 times. At this point she has been driving around with no audio for like 6 months. I told her that we can probably get a stock CD player for pretty cheap on ebay (of which there are plenty). And stock radios are probably less interesting for thieves.

Now comes the question, it seems that when the thieves take the stereo out, all they have to do is pull it out, not take apart the dash. If I take a stock radio, with the little cubby hole thing attached to the bottom to fill up the double DIN slot, will it just slide in a snap into place after i plug it into the harness, or do I need a special mounting bracket or something and will I have to take the dashboard off and stuff?

Thanks for helping out somone with little experience.

sv

Old 01-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Default RE: Newbie help, stereo install - easy question

I just did an install just like this the other day. It was a 98 civic and they had the same situation. Fortunatly for you, it will just slide in the din slot. The isomount will be just fine. I actually work at circuit city, and we get cars like this all the time.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

Here is the deal. Get her to spend about $180 for an ECLIPSE.

Read this excerpt about ESN and why thieves know better than to take it.

ECLIPSE's proven theft-deterrent measure uses a user-designated CD or a Memory Stick depending on the CD receiver model to control system activation. The selected media can be set to be a key device that the system must "see" before it will activate. Without the key device, the system remains locked and will not operate.

Also, if you buy it from a dealer and activate register it, IT CAN BE TRACED. You also get these 1"x2" reflective stickers that warn you about stealing an Eclipse cd player.

Ive been running Eclipse since I could drive and actually watched a thief about to go into my car and left when he saw the sticker or knew what the headunit was made by, one of the two

All in all, its very worth it and Eclipse is known for their amazing sound.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:58 PM
HCF Member

If the rear backstrap is connected it will be harder to pull out because its bolted in the rear. Stock radio's have a bracket on the back that can be bolted. aftermarket radios have a bolt location. No one will steal an eclipe I had one for a long time, now i have an alpine. but having shaved door handles and an alarm people havent touched my car.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:20 PM
HCF Member

i dont get how it just pops out..my headunit is so tight in there i have to take part of the dash to poke the metal tabs out on the brackit that comes with the headunit to get it out, and usually at the sides theres a part to put screws to hold the deck in too

Old 01-10-2006, 11:56 PM

circuit city has just signed eclipse, so you can expect to see them there soon!

Old 01-11-2006, 08:12 AM
HCF Member

^ I hope spme pf the lower models and not the high end in order to protect the local dealers.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:19 AM

thanks for all the input. I am sure that there are great alarms, fancy decks and the such that could help my friend, but she is definately no audiophile, she has not even had a radio in her car for the past 6 months. Actually at one point she took her alarm clock from her bedroom and plugged it into an ac adapter so that she had music on a long drive. She is just frusterated. I think that the cheapest/simplest option is going back to stock. plus that includes the added benefit of the car appearing stock. I think that the types of people that have been stealing her radio have not been that bright, if they had, they would have realized that it was the cheapest cd player that you can find and would not have even bothered.

This is great info, a couple more questions. I have been reading around, and I have noticed that if you don't have the security code that came with the stereo you are supposed to be able to get it from the dealer. It seems from people's experience, that dealerships are less than helpful in providing the code. Does anyone have experience with this? Also, can I put in a stereo from any honda any year, or does it need to be a Civic stereo from a generation 6 Civic?

remington870_20ga- that does sound like a great option, but I am curious, from a technical perspective, how can it be traced??

thanks! again for the help.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

When its plugged back up to a battery Fujitsu can trace it. I dont know their methods but it is what it is.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:11 PM

dealers don't want to give out any info like radio codes because if the radio is stolen they can be liable. they also don't like giving info for free.

Quick Reply: Newbie help, stereo install - easy question