Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Opinions on stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:56 PM
HCF Member
Default Opinions on stereo?

Ok so I have 2 10" pioneer subs from 2004 probably, not even sure of the model. And they are being run off of a 4-channel pionner amp. not sure what power it is.
Anyways, it was decent for a starter system, and sounds alright still, but I'm looking to upgrade. What do you car audio buffs suggest i do?
I've read that the 12W7's are really solid, and only one is needed, but thats one hellofa expensive sub.
So if you guys were in my shoes right now, what would you buy? For subs and amp.

Thanks

Old 02-22-2009, 03:31 PM
HCF Member

I like alpine. I have one 12" type-s run off a Alpine MRVT320 amp, Alpine head unit, Infinity 6x9s and 6 1/2s for the deck and doors. (sweet UPS discount on those speakers) It sounds pretty good. I dont like alot of bass but I can def. crank it up if I want to. I know you are in canada, but Crutchfield.com has some good articles, reviews etc that you can research up on.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

whoa.. never even heard of the site. been reading stuff for not even ten minutes though, and its helpin lotssss. Thanks man.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Banned

well that would depend on how much money you have that would help??? crutchfeilds a rippoff go to a independent car audio store you can usually get a good deal on products like lastyears models anyway for headunits get alpine there the best for the price for amps alpne ,kenwood rockford fosgate,and for subs kikker,rockford,powerbass,the w7 sounds really good its really loud and precise but really expensive if you really want it i would definitely recommend it save up and get it but get a JLmonoblock to go with it also expensive but you get what you pay for.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM
HCF Member

they have crutchfield in canada too, thats where i got my deck.

theyre a rip-off? huh, not many stores can compete with internet vendors. you may get a last years deck cheap, but youve still gotta buy the wiring harness and the adapter plate(if you dont want it to look ghetto).future shop was gonna charge me an extra 60 bucks including tax, for those things. orders above 100 gets you free shipping.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

well it sounds like future shop is more of a ripoff then crutchfeild .the wire harness and face plate are dirt cheap.i just checked out crutchfeilds website for the first time ive onley known the magazine and ya there still a ripoff.some things are 30 to 50 bucks cheaper then bestbuy but personally id rather pay the extra to have it rite here and know im way to impatient to wait for somthing that has a chance of being damaged during shipping .

Last edited by lowlife9; 02-25-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
HCF Member
Old 02-26-2009, 08:16 AM
HCF Member

I'd say buy locally. And if you can get a service plan, do it....I bought my stuff through best buy and they replace anything unless its stolen pretty much. I blew some speakers, and they gave me the full retail price in store credit. But for what you should buy, I'd say Alpine and that JL are top notch for sure. For the alpine I'd buy a Type-R 12" or two in an instant. you won't be disappointed. Rockfords are really nice too. Honestly though, the amp is probably more important than what sub. I'm not sure how much power your going for, but here's some ideas. Anything by Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, JL, Kenwood, Infinity is going to be good (for subs and amps). I tend to stay away from other companies like Pyramid, Lightning audio, stuff like that but i really have no experience with them.

For an amp, if you're going to run just one sub, try to get a mono amplifier. Even if you're gonna run two, that should be best.

Also, look into used stuff especially for the sub and box. if you buy it used it'll probably save you at least half of retail. IMO that's the way to go.....I've bought two Rockfords that way, a P1 and T1 and both of them still work great. Of course you could get a lemon, so thats a risk, but IMO one thats worth saving a couple hundred. Just make sure to hear it first and if you have any doubts, just wait.....another good deal will always come.

Hopefully that helps! And if anyone disagreees with me about the off brands, like i said, i have no personal experience with them....

Oh and just cause i don't know how much YOU know.....don't look at peak power. Especially for amps. Check the RMS rating, its much more valuable.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Superfly
I'd say buy locally. And if you can get a service plan, do it....I bought my stuff through best buy and they replace anything unless its stolen pretty much. I blew some speakers, and they gave me the full retail price in store credit. But for what you should buy, I'd say Alpine and that JL are top notch for sure. For the alpine I'd buy a Type-R 12" or two in an instant. you won't be disappointed. Rockfords are really nice too. Honestly though, the amp is probably more important than what sub. I'm not sure how much power your going for, but here's some ideas. Anything by Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, JL, Kenwood, Infinity is going to be good (for subs and amps). I tend to stay away from other companies like Pyramid, Lightning audio, stuff like that but i really have no experience with them.

For an amp, if you're going to run just one sub, try to get a mono amplifier. Even if you're gonna run two, that should be best.

Also, look into used stuff especially for the sub and box. if you buy it used it'll probably save you at least half of retail. IMO that's the way to go.....I've bought two Rockfords that way, a P1 and T1 and both of them still work great. Of course you could get a lemon, so thats a risk, but IMO one thats worth saving a couple hundred. Just make sure to hear it first and if you have any doubts, just wait.....another good deal will always come.

Hopefully that helps! And if anyone disagreees with me about the off brands, like i said, i have no personal experience with them....

Oh and just cause i don't know how much YOU know.....don't look at peak power. Especially for amps. Check the RMS rating, its much more valuable.
Okay.. thanks that was a lot of info lol. I definitely knew about the RMS not max power lol. Thats like noob stuff there..

The only question I still have left is why would a mono amp be better for two subs? I've read that so many times, and never understood why...

I think I am gonna try and buy used for the sub(s) and box. But new for the amp.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Banned

actually the ohm independence is of greater value over rms a sub rated at 500 watts with a 1 ohm independence will have alot more bass then a 4 ohm sub when paired with a 1 ohm stable amp

Quick Reply: Opinions on stereo?