Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Optima Yellow Top worth it?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:18 AM
HCF Member
Default Optima Yellow Top worth it?

Kinda self-explanitory. Seems like a lot of money to drop, but is there noticable electornics/audio gains?

Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Optima Yellow Top worth it?

ive only heard great things

Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 PM
HCF Member

are you talking about the full size ones or the ones made for the honda/acura??? all the ones made for the honda were recalled,i went through 3 of them for having bad cells.If you get a full size one then yeah i think its worth it.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
HCF Member

I got the full size one, had to cut the plastic at the bottom to make it fit. But I had it from my old car then when I got the civic I put it in, its been 2 years and a half iv had it, with it hooked up to a system.Still works great, gives lots of juice with the system up.

I also had it run totally dry when It was sitting in my old car in the dead of winter wile my car was parked for a couple months when I was selling it. Charged it up...andperfectly back to normal. I got mine at costco, since its wholesale there a little cheaper.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
HCF Member

You really have more then 1 option.

First of all, the Optima is a good battery, I haven't ever heard a negative comment about them, but make sure your after the deep cycle version "yellow" top.

You also have Kinetik batteries, which are just as good. You can get the 1400CCA version for about the same price as the Optima, and it's a OEM size upgrade for Honda cars. You can get them at sonic electronix for sure, but probably elsewhere.

I am debating between the yellow top and the Kinetik myself. Heres a link to the perfect fit Kinetik

I have a friend that runs one in his trunk alone, and it holds some hella power. You can also buy a 80+A relay and a "cap killer" for the trunk if you even notice power fluctuation up front. It's an awesome set-up or so i hear.

Here's their site too, I went out for a looksee to read their FAQ. They give some decent info and price suggestions for their stuff here. Notice that that sonicelectronix site is 50% of the cost of the website. I doubt I would invest 350.00 in a battery, lol.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Stumasters

You also have Kinetik batteries, which are just as good. You can get the 1400CCA version for about the same price as the Optima, and it's a OEM size upgrade for Honda cars. You can get them at sonic electronix for sure, but probably elsewhere.

I am debating between the yellow top and the Kinetik myself. Heres a link to the perfect fit Kinetik
I have that same Kinetic Stu, they are very powerfull, and they look better IMO than the optima, they are all blue, so if you have a blue motif going on under your hood, it will match up. Only thing that addiction pointed out a while back is, the go in backwards to fit your terminal wires, but that's really only if you care about that. Kinetic is good stuff and they are all over ebay for cheap...here is one
http://cgi.ebay.com/KINETIK-HC1400-K...em120091831473

They are worth it. My battery in combo with my high output alt = no voltage drops, no flashing lights,,,nothing but sound

Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I think thats the one I am going to buy. A buddy of mine has one for sale at work, but I think his is HUGE.. so i probably won't use it, he had it in his trunk for competitions.

I don't care much about the wiring swap anyway, i have all new 8 and 4 gauge wiring that I am planning on installing anyway. I will run all new wiring to the alternator and whatnot myself. Looks like a good idea.

Kinetik FTW - check them out and compare with optima.. It's really what you like I guess.. I am gonna go kinetic personaly.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i say the optimas are great....
ive had my yellow D34/78 for ruffly 3-4years.... had it in my old 96jimmy, my 95 C1500 extended cab truck and now in my civic...

just like mill........ just two minor snips in the outter lower plastic and it fits snug tho remember to flip your battery tray or the metal battery case could cut into the battery over time....
the two snips are to clean the firewalls AC lines and towards the front to clear the uppercontrol arm bolt i believe is what it is...

i wouldnt cut any other battery to fit tho.... cause these optimas have that sprial cells so ya dont have to worry about cuting them! other batteries id be scared to cut them and have them just leak out.....

and who doesnt want extra power! hell the battery that came in my civic had been clamped down so many times or to tight the battery was warping and leaking and my lights flashed HELLA BAD!!!!!!

the yellow top helped the dimming BUT my amplifier was just to demanding for the alternator.LOL so it was still dimming alittle bit..
but i plan on upgrading my alternator preaty soon so no problems soon enough.....

Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 AM
HCF Member

so deep cycle, full size Yellow Top?

and Addiction you said: D34/78, what dose that mean?

Old 03-06-2007, 03:27 PM
HCF Member

Deep cycle batteries aren't designed for starting loads. If you consistently use a deep cycle battery to start your car it's going to give the cells memory and degrade the battery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Optima Yellow Top worth it?