Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

power locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Eun
Default power locks

It's 98 Ex Sedan.
powerlocksdied on me again-and this time it's not the fuses. died out, I mean when I click on the button to unlock or anything, it doesn't do anything
will I need to take off the door panel and check out the actuator or something? any help would be great. thanks.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: power locks

are they factory units?

id say iff all the fuses are good then its a relay or just a dirty switch..... do ya smoke?

easiest way to test... remove the door handle trim to access the power lock switch and then with a test light or just bare wire grounded out to the car touch it to the wires on the switch and if nothing happens its the relay modual...
the motors rarely go bad at the same time. so only a few things to check out at least.....

Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Eun

yeah ibelieve they are factory units. i don't think it's dirty switch-keyless entry doesn't work either.
I don't smoke...why?
oh yeah, thanks for the info[&:]

Old 08-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if ya smoked then the switch could be dirty...
BUT if the keyless entry doesnt work also then id say its either a fuse or the control box has gone bad..

cause the way the locks work is reverse polarity setup....... can be hot wired with 2 relays if ya know which wires are which.....

not sure how much a replacement control box would cost.... BUT im sure 2 relays are cheaper

Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 PM
HCF Member

Relays are a good idea... you don't want to know how much those power lock control modules are. The wire colors are green/white for lock and green/orange for unlock. They are negative switching so all you have to do is wire the switch to one relay each for lock/unlock (relays are used to reverse the polarity). NEVER USE A TEST LIGHT! Always use a digital multimeter. A colleague of mine deployed airbags using a test light and was seriously injured. His face was right by the steering wheel when it went off. I was there, it was not cool. Test lights carry little resistance, which provokes higher current; dmms carry high resistance and thus have lower current... which makes for a safer environment. Plus they're ECU and BCM safe and only cost $20. If you need any help; let me know.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
HCF Member

Oh yeah; if you want to get this accomplished without taking the door panel off; the wires are accessable through the drivers kick panel. You can find them in a blue plug, or in the green factory alarm plug behind the radio (if yours has a fact alarm). That way you can atleast test the system without much work and plan from there. If it is actually an actuator/motor (which I doubt); you can get them for like $20 each from circuit city or best buy.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ive always used a test light to check wires! just dont be stupid and prope the yellow sleeved wires!
but ya dont need another switch.... you can reuse the stock switch and all the wires right thier!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:44 AM
Eun

well I do have access to dmm, so I'll use that
never know what's going to happen.[&:]
thanks guys, for the quick answers. I'll make sure I check it out soon.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:14 PM
HCF Member

I'm not saying test lights are bad... or that you'll always deploy the bags... I'm just saying you may damage some sensitive components. If you need any wire colors or locations, I have a full schematic for your car. Let me know if you have any ?s

Old 08-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Eun

whoah! can i see the schematic?[8D]

Quick Reply: power locks