Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Putting together a new system... Have a few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Default Putting together a new system... Have a few ?s

I've a 98 DX Hatchback and was wondering how hard it will be to install a 7" woofer in the front doors. Has anyone done something like this before? Also, where's a good location to install the tweeters? I would've love to install them on the sail panels, but my car has manual mirrors and the handles don't leave any space. The A pillars are not flat and would probably require custom work. And last, will Alpine PDX amps fit under the seats? I can always put them in the back, but kinda want to keep them out of sight when I open the hatch.

Anyways, system contents are below. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Miguel.

Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS (using intrnl 3 way xover for active set up)

Tweets: Seas Neo Textile 27TFFNC/G

Mids: Dayton RS180 7"

Sub: Lotus SW300 12" in sealed enclosure

No rear speakers

PDX-4.100 for tweets and mids

PDX-1.600 for sub.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Putting together a new system... Have a few ?s

you want 7 inch woofers in the doors??? but you dont wanna do custom work? good luck. a lot of people have trouble with 4 n a quarters fitting in the door. the problem you're gunna run into is the woofer being too deep to fit in the door. and even if it does fit, you're not gunna be able to roll your window down. a lot of times with a speaker thats a little too deep you can use an MDF ring as a spacer, but i can just imagine how big of a spacer you'd need to put a woofer in the door.

maybe im confused and you're just talkin about do you mean an actual subwoofer or just a 7" speaker. there might be a little bit of a size difference.. maybe a different magnet size.

but i think either way it probably wouldnt work. but hey. let us know if and how you do it.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. It's a midrange/midbass woofer. I will be installing a 12" sub in the hatch. I was hoping a little cutting and some mdf spacers would do the job, but it looks like it might require more than that. Looking at it, it is quite a large driver. I ordered them anyways. They're pretty cheap and paired with the tweeter I mentioned above, it's supposed to be a good combo for a SQ set up. When I mentioned that I didn't want to do any custom work, I was mostly referring to fiberglassing and stuff like that. I can manage a little cutting. But we'll see. Once they get here I'll see what can or can't be done. Thanks again for your input.

Miguel

This is the speaker I'm talking about: Dayton RS180

Old 07-17-2007, 05:10 AM
HCF Member

honestly, if youre going for an SQ setup... you're probably gunna wanna pay more than 30 bux a speaker. for the most part, price reflects quality. even if those speakers sound halfway decent, they are not going to last very long, and the odds that they will blow as soon as you turn up the music (especially if you have them amped). when looking at the speakers again. i see that they handle 60w rms or 90w peak. i cant imagine that you could push more than 30 or 35w rms through them before you start to get some major distortion. and any higher than that, and you'll probably blow them.

just do yourself a favor and buy a quality part the first time. it saves you money in the long run. spend some extra money once, and you wont have to spend any money later. im sure that everybody would agree on here.

just my opinion. take it or leave it. = ) and good luck makin everything work. keep us posted.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:52 PM

Definitely good advice. Don't skimp on your drivers or you'll just be aggravated having to yank them later, not to mention especially if you go to the hassle of getting an oversized one like that put in. I've been teetering between Infinity and MB Quart myself, about $300 for a pair of 6.5s. That's about the ballpark I'd expect for decent components.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I consider my self a newbie when it comes to car audio. So any given input is gladly taken. As far as the speakers previously mentioned, I wanted to go with that combo because other people (diymobileaudio.com) seemed to have good results with that set up on a budget. And when I said I wanted a SQ setup, I didn't mean competition grade. Just a decent system for my own listening pleasure. However, this morning I scored on a good deal on the set of speakers I wanted to get to begin with but couldn't afford. Rainbow Profi Kick 6.5" Midbasses. Now I just have to go hunting for a set of Rainbow Cal26 tweeters and I'll have all the componets for my desired set up. Of course, making it all work will be a different challenge. Again, thanks for all the advice. I'll be sure to post an update once everything is installed.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:09 AM
HCF Member

we'll keep checking back. good luck with everything. = )

Old 07-18-2007, 05:56 PM

Lol @ the people sayign that wont be a SQ setup. That setup could easily blow your $300 mb quarts out the water. I am not famliar with the doors but sounds like no matter what your in for some glassing. If your going for SQ just build some kick panels, it is quite easy. Run it active to, then when people see how good it sounds tell them how much you paid .

And those Rainbows are ALOT more even on a very good used price lol. I have Germaniums (Cal25 tweet), I love the tweeter, but retail is $300 on it lol. I know pretty much the only 2 Rainbow dealers in the country if you wanna go that route.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 AM

you know i could get you better component sets for lesser than that . db drive platinum series 180 bucks brand new. im a whole sale dealer let me know what you need and i can finsd it for you. 15inch subwoofer 2600 watts 170. good products .the car audio and video electronics come with a 1 year warrenty. also a 7 color changing lcd neon underbody kit for 170 . the neons retail 600 bucks. they are all brand new. not stolen. if yo uhave any wquestions let me know i will try to answer as best as possible. heres my cell. 270-589-0702 anyone can call about car audio and video products..
Bruce

Old 07-23-2007, 11:44 AM

Those mids and tweets wills hit all over anything DB makes.

I just did an install with some $27 morel tweeters and $20 dayton xovers that would blow most component sets under $300-$400 out of the water.

Quick Reply: Putting together a new system... Have a few ?s