Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

questions aobut alarm system..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:51 PM
HCF Member
Default questions aobut alarm system..

ok well im getting a prestige alarm system... ive heard good from em and my friend has one and loves it... it comes with a 2-way pager and slave.... has remote start ... etc... now my worry is i park about 2 blocks away from my home sometimes.. with most alarms would it respond to my pager in that amount of distance? or does it normally depend on the kind of alarm

Old 10-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Default RE: questions aobut alarm system..

Well i think the one you have only goes 1/2 a mile so yes it might page you because half a mile is only 10 blocks. I have an Avital (1 mile) with the remote start and indications on what part of the cars is open or hit and its a pager as well and i park my car 3 blocks away and i live on the 6 floor of a building and it still pages me. But i can also here my car because ive got 2 sets of air horns. LOL..... might seem silly but it is worth it. I got the same car as you , and had it stolen, you cant even imagine the feeling. Thats why the air horns come in handy its not no regular alarm when you got 4 horns screaming.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

Is your car a manual trans? If so, is the remote start designed for a manual trans?

Old 10-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well paging alarms never work in a expected range.......

with my paging alarms BEST ive gotten is about 1block away BUT thats OPEN AREA... no walls, no buildings just OPEN AREA....
now at work my cars ruffly 50-75feet away from the building and 1room inside my work and the signal wont go thru...
but like in most little stores i have no problem geting a signal from inside the building BUT any large building and your not gonna get a signal. a paging system is GREAT BUT its not a miricle paging like a phone pager is.LOL

plus a alarm is only as good as the instal. so be creative and hide ALL THE WIRES! our civics dont have under dash covers so anyone can just jump under the dash and rip for loose wires...
if your car is out of your view from your house or job it would be a GREAT IDEA to wire up a fuel pump kill switch! that way at least they cannt just crack your colum and drive it off! lets face it civics get broken into ALL THE TIME! dealing with the switch always turning it off and on every time you get IN and OUT of your car is a hassle BUT when it could save your car... ITS WORTH IT! im going to wire one up in my 94civic preaty soon. tho i will just use it in areas wwhere i THINK is a bad area or high likely hood it could get stolen.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: KarTuneMan

Is your car a manual trans? If so, is the remote start designed for a manual trans?
yes

Old 10-21-2007, 09:36 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

well paging alarms never work in a expected range.......

with my paging alarms BEST ive gotten is about 1block away BUT thats OPEN AREA... no walls, no buildings just OPEN AREA....
now at work my cars ruffly 50-75feet away from the building and 1room inside my work and the signal wont go thru...
but like in most little stores i have no problem geting a signal from inside the building BUT any large building and your not gonna get a signal. a paging system is GREAT BUT its not a miricle paging like a phone pager is.LOL

plus a alarm is only as good as the instal. so be creative and hide ALL THE WIRES! our civics dont have under dash covers so anyone can just jump under the dash and rip for loose wires...
if your car is out of your view from your house or job it would be a GREAT IDEA to wire up a fuel pump kill switch! that way at least they cannt just crack your colum and drive it off! lets face it civics get broken into ALL THE TIME! dealing with the switch always turning it off and on every time you get IN and OUT of your car is a hassle BUT when it could save your car... ITS WORTH IT! im going to wire one up in my 94civic preaty soon. tho i will just use it in areas wwhere i THINK is a bad area or high likely hood it could get stolen.
well i live in a private house, what kind of alarm system do u have addiction?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i have a python lcd paing unit. same as viper and clifford just differnt names and slight different style in remotes.

tho for my civic since i lost my conection to those dei products im going back to some old paging units i used to have. t hey worked just as good and beter since they come with 2 remotes!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=015
you can buy it cheaper without all the extras BUT i like all the extras. im just waiting on seller to say if he will substitute afew extras for a tilt sensor. i dont want the led scanner, the power inverter thing, and glass breakage sensor cause i already have one of those. but i want a tilt sensor for my 99 civic so the extras will be a nice touch... plus that new tap lock thing... that looks like it could be used for some type of project.... package deal is always beter.. hahahhahaha

but i instal everything myself.... so if you cannt instal yourself your stuck with what that instal place sells....

Old 10-22-2007, 01:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ic892003

ORIGINAL: KarTuneMan

yes

Yes to both???

Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 PM
HCF Member

i told them i have a manual and my friend got a prestige for his 5spd mr2 and they put the system in with autostart and everything, so i figuire they noe wat their doing

Old 10-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well they can instal them on manuals BUT i highly doubt they instal a failsafe...
so if you leave your car in gear and EVEN ACCIDENTLY hit the remote start button it will jump forwards or backwards what ever gear you left it in. and thats a VERY BAD THING!!!!

ive seen some nice remote starter systems that have failsafes built in..
alot of systems say SAFE... but then says if you leave car in nuetral and parking brake on.... so basicaly ITS NOT SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

the safe ones have a failsafe so the car must be left running, parking brake ON and you geting out of the car locking/ARMING up the car/alarm with the motor still running then it shuts off the engine and is in failsafe mode as long as the doors arent opened. at least those are what ive READ...

with my manual instal im gonna have everything wired up BUT NOT the starter wire...... that way you must physicaly get into the car, start the car up with the key, and push the remote start button which will put the system into STOP AND GO mode which will keep the engine running... this way you dont have to worry about ACCIDENTLY hiting the remote start button with the car in gear.....

LETS FACE IT.... THIERS A REASON WHY MOST CLUTCHES HAVE FAILSAFES BUILT IN FACTORY so the clutch HAS to be pushed down for it to start... if you bypass that YOUR RISKING YOUR CAR any anything else infront or behind your car!
accidents happen..

Quick Reply: questions aobut alarm system..