Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

radio install help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:14 PM
HCF Member
Default radio install help

just bought a new radio/deck/head unit or whatever you wanna call it. it's a pioneer to be put in my buddies 96 civic dx hatch.

since we bought the adapter harness at best buy, the wiring was pretty straight forward and simple, just match the same colors on the harness to the wires on the plug on the new radio. and just plug in the adapter harness into the stock civic radio harness.

problem: the new unit isn't powering on, or isn't getting any power or something along those lines. so i assumed that maybe the adapter harness doesn't have the wires in the right spot so i googled and looked here http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/466013.pdf to check if the wiring on the civic matches up to the wiring on the adapter and it does.

also checked the 10 amp fuse on the radio of course, it's fine.

so now i assumed that since i just used the ghetto cone connectors:
http://www.google.com/images?oe=UTF-...w=1366&bih=601
that i had a lose connection and power wasn't getting through the wires so i rechecked all the connections and they all look good and still no power to the radio.

so to make sure that power is getting to the radio i took out my test light and backprobed the radio wiring plug. one end to the back of the black ground and then one end to the red power wire, there was power. then one end to the black ground and then one end to the yellow power, there was power.

so i know there is power going through. but as another check step i installed the new speakers that we just bought (there were no speakers before) and plugged back in the stock radio. it works!!!

so does this mean that i bought a defective head unit or is there something else i can test? help please!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 PM
HCF Member

also, i have a good pioneer in my car and was hoping i could unplug mine and put it into his. but i never bought the adapter harness so i cut off my stock civic wiring harness and used cone connectors to connect it with my pioneer radio harness. i already took out my pioneer radio hoping the plug would be the same but they're not.

i think he decided to go back to best buy tomorrow and see if they can either find the problem or replace it.

i don't get it though, i don't think a brand new radio would be defective, i've installed several radios before so it's not like i don't know what to do either lol

Old 10-09-2010, 03:03 PM
HCF Member

i would connect it straight off the battery and see if it powers up or not. if it powers up its somewhere between, if not its the deck.

Last edited by milhouse; 10-09-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Test the radio on the bench, connect red and yellow together to + of a battery and black to minus. Make sure none of the other wires touch each other. Push the power or source button, radio should come on and light up. If not, it's defective, return to store. (Also check the fuse in the back of the radio if it has one).

Old 10-09-2010, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

alright, tried that, still not working so will return to best buy tomorrow

Old 10-10-2010, 05:07 AM
HCF Member

mk, are you saying any battery? like a 9 volt or AA will work?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:20 AM
HCF Member

^ needs to be 12 volt

Old 10-10-2010, 08:43 AM
HCF Member

check the main radio fuse on the civ its probably shot. mine went out in my truck and just the lights came on nothing else worked so i changed out the fuses and it was good.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:36 PM
HCF Member

^ already checked the fuse

replaced the radio, new one works fine

Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM
HCF Member

in that situation, i would check that the volume potentiometer, is set to the correct value.