Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

rear speaking wiring and setting

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 AM
HCF Member
Default rear speaking wiring and setting

hi i just replaced my oem rear speakers. I cut the harness off and stripped the wire cover and just wrapped the wire around the two holes of my speakers and electric taped them. This works - but how do I know which wire is supposed to go around what hole?

and in terms of equilization should i have the rears set higher than my oem front?
I have 6 going to the rear (140 watts peak each) -can i increase to 8? cuz my oem front sort of rattles when i blast the music

Last edited by burgernuds; 12-21-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 PM

If you get a haynes manual or download a service manual you can look at the wiring diagram and it'll tell you which colors are which polarity.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

and if i dont? i tried switching wires and holes and they both worked!!
and i wasnt sure i noticed a difference in sound quality either...

Old 12-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya youll never HEAR a difference in the polarity!!!!!! and IMO it doesnt mater much unless your really competing in a stereo competition... BUT if you really want everything to be perfect and you have a aftermarket radio you can always pull your radio out and simply use a standard AAA battery and use jumper wires to your speaker wires on the back of the radio with the radio not connected of course. and then ONLY!!!!! ONLY TAP the wires to the battery. simple negative speaker wire which has the black line on the batteries negative side and then the positive solid color wire to the positive side of the battery. REMEMBER ONLY TAP!!!!!!!! if you hold the wires on the battery you could damage the speaker! and what i always use is a old weak AAA battery.
and what your looking for is when you touch the wires to the battery the speakers cone will move OUTWARDS.... and easier to have a friend look at the speaker while you tap the wires... IMO dont have the friend tap the wires because well its not there equipment they can easily hold the wires on the battery which could damage the speakers coil.

so anyways if the cone moves outwards your correct BUT if the cone is sucked down into the basket then you have it wired backwards. simply switch the wires on the speaker and your golden.

but then again for basic, or stock radios/speakers its not worth the hassle to mess with....
only time it REALLY REALLY matters is if you have some nice midbass speakers or a subwoofer those are the only speakers i will really care about wiring the polarity properly.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

switching the polarity will only make an audible difference if one speaker is opposite of another. When a right speaker is opposite in polarity from the left speaker, the left speaker is going out, while the right speaker is going in. When this happens the sound waves will cancel each other out, which the most noticeable result is a large loss of bass.

If both speakers are reversed, the speakers will sound ok, but it is not the way the speakers were intended to run. So I recommend making sure the left and right speakers are in the correct polarity. Also because sound waves take time to move, the front and rear speakers will never be in sync with each other, so just make sure the the left and right speakers are in the same polarity with each other.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

I took my subs out of my trunk to pack in some luggage once. When I put them back in all my bass was GONE. I thought I had killed my amp somehow by putting luggage in the trunk with it. After much investigation, I found I had the wires backwards on one sub, and thus the polarity had been switched. Once I made the polarity of each sub match, I had my bass back! I'm just glad I didn't kill 'em cause I definitely turned the volume up trying to find my bass lol.

Addiction2bass, that's a smooth method to finding the correct polarity. Once I install my 2nd amp, I will definitely follow your instructions.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 AM
HCF Member

when your at a concert.... where does the music come from?
Why would u want to hear more music behind u?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:52 PM
HCF Member

tell me what car you have and i will tell you the colors