Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Recommendations for new car speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Default Recommendations for new car speakers

Hey everyone this is my first post on these forums.i have an 04' civic EX 2 dr coupe i have never done anything to my speakers. My car is in the shop right now due to some fool almost totalling my car rolling it over twice. but anyways,i am looking to replace my stock speakers becausei personally cannot stand listening to them anymore the treble is all squeaky and it hurts my ears wheneveri listen to any high pitched noises in songs. the bass is really scratchy and all around i'm tired of listening to them. im sure you guys know what the stock speakers sound like.[/align][/align]I was thinking that replacing the speakers would make the biggest difference in sound, buti am not sure. would getting a new deck or amp or sub be a better choice? My budget is somewhere around 1k max, but i am looking to get a high quality system for a bit under that if that is possible. I don't know much about car audio buti was thinking about having the shop put some Alpine speakers in while they are rebuiliding the car pretty much from scratch. [/align][/align]If any1 could give me some advice on some good speakers to get, and if it isn't too much money I would like to get a new sub as well and maybe a new amp. But again I dont really know anything about car audio, but would I need to get a new amp to power my new speakers? Any help is appreciated, and basically im looking to get a high quality and nice sounding system with a good amount of bass that can go loud without getting distorted. Thanks in advance for the help! [/align]

Old 05-20-2007, 05:39 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Recommendations for new car speakers

with 1 G you can get a real niice system. Id reccomend infinity all around. www.crutchfield.com Get some 6 by 9 component speakers, some 6 1/2's for the front and a Infinity Kappa

Old 05-20-2007, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

i didnt mean to post that i wasnt done lol
2 of these
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-b3JfF3h...amp;I=1081252W

this
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-b3JfF3h...mp;I=489AP1200

and these
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1167444900148

then you can get some 6 1/2 for the front if u want em and wires, youll be well under 1000

Old 05-20-2007, 05:49 PM

i;m not too sure if i want to spend the whole 1k on speakers alone. i was thinking about getting a wing and maybe a body kit. i am a total nub on all this on audio for the car. could any1 just tell me what i NEED to have to get things running well.. like some good reasonable price range choices for speakers, a sub, and a amp if i need one. i just need to get the speakers and the new sub and all that i need and send it to the body shop so they can install it for me.[/align]

Old 05-20-2007, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

good body kits (meaning NOT from ebay) will run you $800+

Old 05-20-2007, 05:57 PM

thanks for the help so far, much appreciated. those look like they will do the job . im gunna look into it some more though. these are pretty good speakers though and a decent price too? if anyone has anything else to add that'd be great. i need to figure out what i'm going to buy within a few days so i can order it and drop it off over at the shop.[/align][/align]sorry for the dumb question, but how does the amp effect the speakers and what exactly does it do?[/align]

Old 05-20-2007, 06:11 PM

thanks for the helpevery1. im a total "nub" when it comes to car audio so you gotta kinda make it plaina and simple for me if you can .

I'm probably repeating myself a lot here. but i think i've been kind of unclear in what i want... maybe not but here it goes..

does anyone have any links to a good place to buy speakers and which ones are good. what i really want is a complete system that sounds great and has a lot of power for not a crapload of money.

I am thinking of course, that i want to replace all of my stock speakers, so that would be 4 new speakers (not really sure how much $$ that will be). and like you said, i will need an amp for the speakers to work to their full potentional, correct? And if I have any money left over, a sub would be the next choice right? Well actually, what I really want is some good bass so i'm gunna have to put a sub up there on the priority list.

So, if i get 4 good new speakers to replace my stocks, a new sub to replace the stock one, and an amp to power all this new stuff. Im guessing I could get all that done in under 1k right?

If i still have some cash left over, what should i go for next? Thanks for the help all!

Old 05-20-2007, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

well. you've come to the right place if you want to learn about car audio.

i'll give you a quick rundown. your stock head unit probably puts out somewhere around 30-40 watts of power to all of your speakers (someone correct me if im wrong please).. thats why your speakers sound like sh*t when you turn it up. your speakers are trying to make more sound with less power.. not only does that make really crappy sound, it hurts your speakers. a new HU would HELP your sound, but chances are your speakers are already done anyway. plus if you put a new HU in your car with your stock speakers... you got a good chance of blowing your speakers because an aftermarket HU puts out about 60-70watts of power (some are more, some are less thats just a general number) so basically a new HU will give you more power to your speakers, but possibly too much for them to handle.

an amp, or amplifier, basically just takes power from your battery and amplifies it to make more power for your speakers or subs. so your speakers and subs are drawing their power from the amp instead of your head unit. just helps clean things up a bit. = ) i dont know a lot about pricing and i cant really suggest any products.. i can just say stick to name brand. no PYLE. basically nothing ebay.. unless its a name brand and a reputable seller. stick with alpine, pioneer, infinity.. etc.

happy listening. = )

Old 05-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Alright, thanks for all the help... much appreciated. I pretty much understand now what i have to get to have a bumpin system. i dont really have to worry bout my budget either, got plenty of the green . I think i am going to buy some dynamat or something similar. im thinking that im gunna get the real dynamat just so i can be assured that it will work and keep my doors from rattling and sound proofing the car a bit.

Here's what im thinking, give me some feedback please.

1 of these - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HonqDyW...00&I=1086010CS - (sorry my car has been in the shop forever, all i would need is to buy 1 of these and that would satisfy replacing the 2 stock speaks that are in the front of my 04' ex, right?) - And does anyone know if those tweeters will fit where the factory tweeters are now?

And the last stock speaker is the one in the back? does anyone know what size that one is? Is it a 6x9" ? And any ideas on what to buy for that spot?

I also want to get a sub, but would i need to make a box for the sub, or where would i put it? I want to get one 12" sub for deep bass and i was thinking either - EDIT http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iniGfhD...2&sortBy=3 - OR - EDIT http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iniGfhD...amp;tab=review
[/align]So there are my 2 front speaks replacing all the stock, 1 rear speak i guess that is where the sub would go, right? (sorry i dont really have any idea, the shop is gunna install it for me just trying to make sure i get everything)

As far as the amp goes i need help with that, i've read that you needa know some math to make sure the amp provides enough power to all the speaks and the sub and etc. - so as far as that goes i need some recommendations please for a good amp to go w/ the rest of my system! I want to get an Alpine amp but i dont know which one to get there are about 10.. ty!

And LAST but not least.... a head unit? Could anyone recommend a good one to get, and would all of them fit where the factory one is now?

EDIT: Sorry for all the questions heh, but.... what exactly do the crossovers do that come w/ the component combo i wanna order and where would they be mounted? [/align]

Old 05-21-2007, 07:26 PM

I would say get a Alpine or Pioneer cd player..and Pioneer or Kicker speakers

Quick Reply: Recommendations for new car speakers