Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Removing Radio 95 Civic DX

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Default Removing Radio 95 Civic DX

I now understand I've got to bring that radio in to the dealer. I've got a couple of options here, along with a couple of questions:

0) how do you remove the radio from the dash? I've come across this for an 03-04 civic:

1) Unclip the parking brake trim panel and remove (2) Phillips screws exposed.
2) Remove (1) plastic clip and (1) Phillips screw from each side of the center console.
3) Slide the center console toward the back of the car to access (2) Phillips screws exposed.
4) Unclip the dash trim bezel assembly (including the head unit and climate controls) and remove the assembly.
5) Disconnect all connectors by releasing triggers on connectors and antenna connector.
6) Remove (3) screws securing the climate control pod to the back of the dash trim bezel and remove the pod.
7) Remove (4) Phillips screws securing the factory head unit to he bracket assembly and remove the unit.

Would this suffice for an 05?

1) can the radio be removed without any deleterious effects? I understand that 96 models need the radio to control the dome lights and some instrumentation? http://www.streetdreams.com/tech/honda/civic9698.html

2) would an aftermarket radio fit in that space nicely? I don't need an expensive one, but would like aux inputs. Maybe a cheap DUAL so that my daughter can plug her ipod into it. If it's messy and needs covers and stuff, I might just make the stock radio work -- dunno.

Again, thanks so much in advance for your help.

~lum

Old 11-26-2005, 06:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Removing Radio 95 Civic DX

I understand that 96 models need the radio to control the dome lights and some instrumentation?
Well, now I've got questions on the dome light thing, cuz I've got a '96 and that would explain why my dome light doesn't work, not that I use it anyway, but still....

But about your radio thing, could you post a pic? I honestly don't know, cuz I pulled all that stuff outta my '96 HX, and don't know how much different the '95's are.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:50 PM
HCF Member

The dome light thing can be fixed with a jumper wire in the radio wiring harness. I did it to both my 97 & 96 civics.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:31 PM

For what it's worth - it's been a couple of months since my post and finally today I bit the bullet and decided to tackle the radio removal thing. Here's what I've learned ; it was rather simple:

1995 Honda Civic DX - 4 Dr Automatic

1) Turn off car and put on emergency brakes
2) On the lower center console beneath the radio (where the ashtray and cigarette lighter mounted) remove the 4 Phillips head screws (+). There are one on either side, and two near the top of the plastic piece.
3) Free the lower plastic console
4) Remove your car key from the ignition and stick it into the upper left hand corner of the transmission shifter to allow you move the transmission shaft back down to 1st gear to make room to remove the loosened console piece.
5) Disconnect the wiring harness from the cigarette lighter and move the console piece out of the way.
6) now you can see the radio's model and serial number via the use of an inspection mirror or turn your body upside down and look up into the cavity
6a) Alternately (which I did), loosen the two Phillips head screws at the underside back of the radio visible, and push the radio forward - it'll slide right out.
6b) Gingerly disconnect the antenna wire. Facing the radio from the driver's seat, the antenna connects to the rear-right midline. You won't be able to pull the radio out very far without doing this.
6c) Next pull the radio out completely, and disconnect the wiring harness (if you care to), but you should be able to turn the radio upside down and read off the model number and serial number without doing so. If you have a CD changer, there will be a third cable on the left-rear midline connected to the radio. (this is good to know, if you want to connect an AUX Input Adaptor to this sucker)

To replace the radio, repeat the above steps in reverse.

I then called the Honda Dealer Parts Department and told him the numbers over the phone. The exact model number I gave him wasn't in the database (it was a PH-xxxx and he was expecting a PH-xxxx A or B) He gave me two codes.

Luckily the first code worked! I turned on the car to the ACC position and turned the radio on. It said "CODE" on the screen. I just pressed the 5 digit number as given to me on the phone and it beeped and came to life!

Thanks to every one who helped me!

(Now, I've got to say the radio reception in this car *SUCKS* royale! I hope the cassette player still works!)

~Lum

Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Default Removeing radio from 95 honda civic

In your step 6A, you said to remove the two Phillips head screws at the underside back of the radio.

Where are those two screws? I removed the center and didn't see those screws?

Old 02-11-2012, 08:14 AM

WHY are you posting in a 6 year old thread?

The guy you are asking a question hasn't signed on since 7/XX/2006.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:13 PM
HCF Member

^ lol