Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

seperate deck install

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Default seperate deck install

so im actually really good with wiring except i cant figure out this one problem and its probably simple and im just not thinking of what to do. I have the wiring harness coming out of the car that you can get from walmart/best buy ya know whatever. so i have both headunits spliced into one harness so its like 3 yellow wires tied together 3 red wires 3 ground wires and then all the speaker wires fused together as well, it actually works fine both headunits work but if i turn both on at the same time they both flicker and reset constantly so one has to stay off while i use the other one. Now my question is can i just run the yellow power and ground straight to the battery from one of the headunits and then not have that flicker problem? if you guys need more explanation let me know.
thanks

Old 07-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Default RE: seperate deck install

yea you can run it straight to the battery just make sure to fuse it or you can put a relay in for the 2 radios wired up becuase they are drawing and fighting for power on your little harness.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:09 PM
HCF Member

yea run it seperate is obvisouly not enough to keep both going through a long spliced prolly 16 gauge wiire

Old 07-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya wire them up to the battery AND FUSE THEM! and your golden... the stock wiring was only made to pull so much power... as well as the ground wires! run a 8gauge power from the battery WITH A FUSE within 6inches of the battery!!!!!!
and for the ground wires for the radios just ground them to a metal brace under the dash.

your running a combo problem... not enough voltage flow and not enough ground flow... thats the only reason ya havent blown the fuse box yet.LOL

Old 07-08-2007, 05:53 PM
HCF Member

not a good idea your decks are gonna get pissed off at one another . if there both on at the same time your gonna be fireing ac voltage back into the speaker outputs im suprised it even works. it's like strapping two different kind of amps two one sub. i think your asking for trouble but if it works more power to ya.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:06 PM

LOL i never even knew tht was possible. but i guess i do now

Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Sweet you couldspin your own mixes while driving!You should wire it all through a turntable fader!!! LOL

Old 07-08-2007, 10:43 PM
HCF Member

the only way that would work if you do get the power set up correctly, would be to put the radios on the same radio station, or the same cd at exactly the same starting time. don't really know why you would need two radios but whatever i don;t think its a good idea

Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 PM

i would almost have to think that it would EFF up the ohm load on the speakers, because each channel is capable of handling a 4 ohm load and your typical car speakers supply that 4 ohm load, but assuming that each speaker is hooked up to both radios that would cut the ohm load in half and each channel would be at a 2 ohm load and last time i checked there wasnt any deck that could safly run at 2 ohms (if there are they are probably hella expensive and pointless).

and if that is the way it is wired up the "flickering" you are expeiencing isnt a power shortage, its the internal amps in the headunits trying to reset them selves because of the way they are wired up

i have never heard of this set up and i think there is a good reason that NO ONE on this forum has probably every thought of doing it, if u want more highs and mids just buy a 4-ch amp,

Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 AM

ok so thanks to the two of you who told me to run a fuse or relay straight to the battery. you guys may think its stupid but it is also my car so i can do what i think is fine, this was my reasoning. i was given a cd player/radio for my birthday a year ago and it works awesome so i want to keep it plus i couldnt find anyone that wouldve wanted to buy it, ebay has to much crap on there already. so i got a headunit from boss that has a screen and radio i also have another dvd player. So instead of breaking 400 bucks out i spend 160 on a screen and radio. I figured why spend 400 for the jensen all in one unit which is a great product but i didnt want to spend that kind of cash. So the headunits are not playing at the same time they just are powered together. The screen and radio are on one headunit and the cd player is the other unit. 2 powered with one harness is giving me all the reseting crap that they do. So if i can find someone who wants to buy these headunits off of me then yea ill break out that money for a jensen all in one unit but for now i have all the things i need just on 2 different headunits, it may sound dumb but i saved money for now. thanks for those that gave some help.

Quick Reply: seperate deck install