Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

stereo installation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 PM
HCF Member
Default stereo installation?

do i need the radio code to make an aftermarket stero head unit work, or is that only with the stock radio, and does my radio even need a code? its a 1994 civic cx hatch.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Default RE: stereo installation?

you might need a diff. wire harness, but you shouldn't need a "code". depends on what head unit you buy?

Old 01-22-2007, 10:01 PM
HCF Member

o ok, i bought the wire harness set already i just have to pick out the head unit, any suggestions on what i should get (brand?)

Old 01-22-2007, 11:56 PM
HCF Member

It all depends on the price you wanna spend. I myself am pretty hard core on Alpine head-units.

They look good, they perform well, and they last forever if taken care of. Mine is 8 years old, still runs like a top.

I do however like Pioneer, Eclipse, and Sony head units as well, they are pretty much all the same anyway, but you get what you pay for in either case.

If you were to go with alpine, here's my suggestions:

This unit offers a cheap price, but still has room to grow. It has a built in clock, its simple, plays MP3 files loaded on discs, and has a set of pre-amp outputs for the boom boom later.

This unit is not hardly any more, but adds WMA and MP3 playback, a flipdown face thats cool, and the optional ipod connector works on this one as well.

This unit climbs the ladder a little, adding more style for one thing, but also some nice features. It is Sat radio ready, with the kit, HD Radio ready, has 3 sets of pre-amp out's, for 3 seperate amps. It also comes with a remote control *they are fun*, a High Pass filter integrated, and adds a little more power to your speakers without an amp.

Then we come to the big dawgs, This unit offers the best, in my opinion, of what Alpine is all about. Not only is the display totaly different, but this unit offers BBE *similar to Loud on other units* which might as well be called the Dolby Digital of Alpine. It is a filter, with several settings, that will totaly bring out your WMA and MP3 files, and make normal digital audio sound 10 times better, not to mention it strengthens all your signals and gives everything from better high's to deeper bass notes. I honestly wouldn't buy an Alpine unit without it. This particular unit also uses the new Biolite display, detachable, with 3 sets of outputs, plays all your audio files on MP3 and WMA, and has room to grow with Sat and HD radio.

From there, you move up to the very high priced units, most of which are video/touch screen, or DVD ready. Some of their regular in dash no screen cd decks read dvd's also, and can be wired to an external screen somewhere else in the car, or more than 1 screen to play dvd's whenever. If you can score a monitor pretty cheap somewhere they can cut your "car theater" prices down from buying a video head unit.

Even though Crutchfield doesn't currently show one, there is a nice version of the Alpine head unit available for about 250.00 with BBE processing, and probably 3 sets of outputs, WMA/MP3, Ipod, the works, you just have to look around for it. It's in my current issue of their paper magazine, but who knows why it's not on the site.

If none of those interest you, we can pair you up with something to suit your needs, just let us know your spending limit, and your plans for the future.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:44 AM

I'm a big fan of Sony car audio, they are NOT the best brand, or.. really, even close to it, but you most definatly get what you pay for.

There head units are probably the best thing you can get from them (for about $100 retail, you can get a CD deck with MP3/WMA support, good shock protection, built in LPF, and sub control, among other .. things). I personally use a higher end Sony deck, and love it (higher end was still awfully cheap.. comparativly, you can still get some of the best (non-dvd/touch screen) Sony decks in wal-mart for $200 or less).

Disclaimer: Sony's amps are good too (for the price..) I just wouldent reccomend there subs.. might as well spend more on an Alpine and have it last fore f'in ever... but i'm an Alpine fanboy for subs.